Australian term for grape-based paintstripper that is the preferred method of suicide for alcoholics and uni students, also known as in Australian slang as goon.

Cask wine is sold in a superfluous cardboard box lined with a handy 2 to 4 litre silver bladder or "goon bag". The wine is accessed through a plastic nozzle on the side of the bladder, which both negates the need for a wine glass and corkscrew, and allows the quaffer to avoid the heady aroma of the liquid within. The simple fact that the offensive liquid comes in a bladder to begin with raises further concerns of its dubious origins. The inflated bag makes a convenient pillow.

Whilst many are initially lured towards goon by its promise of cheap, strong drinks and novelty packaging, few can resist the Bacchanalian pleasure of imbibing a potion of booze from a plastic bag. Advanced goonsters often amaze partygoers with the deadly game Wheel Of Goon; and in classy bogan fashion, smuggle the silvery bag wherever they choose by placing the bag down their trousers with the plastic nozzle hanging out of their fly.

Wine from a box is not uniquely Australian, but the fact that cask wine sales represent around 70% of total wine sales (by quantity) in Australia, suggests that although Australia produces some of the best wine in the world, most people Down Under are drinking the lees.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.