Not to be confused with circumcision. Castration is the removal of the testicles, used to neuter potential threats to society, and also done as a fetishistic thing by people who don't care about procreation. Also one of the results of sexual reassignment surgery.

There are many methods by which this is done. Most people would think of either the Burdizzo clamp or a specialized surgery. Doing it via surgery is much more risky, as the crotch is full of wonderful, highly-infectious bacteria and fungus, and so the Burdizzo is probably the preferred method. Within the circles which castration tools are much more acceptable (unlike on people who aren't animals and therefore are above tools designed for farm use), the elastrator is probably used quite often as well, since there's less of an instantaneous risk of poor migrant worker being fatally kicked in the gut while trying to crush the cords properly, and it's not very likely that a bull would be able to remove the band, regardless of how much pain he is in (as comical a thought that is). For human animals, however, it's probably risky surgery which is most common, then the Burdizzo clamp, then the elastrator. I don't think there's a lot of statistics out there to back this up though.

The surgical term for castration is orchiectomy.

It sounds a lot better on paper.

Pros: A mind clear of sexual desires and ready to focus on messages from the Level Above Human, a great singing voice, greatly reduces pain that results from any groin trauma, improves resumé if you applying for a security job at a harem.

Cons: I honestly didn't think there were any until I arrived in the Kingdom of Heaven. Turns out that most people here just engage in sexual intercourse all day. Luckily, I have foosball to keep me occupied, but I keep getting the feeling I'm missing out on something cool.

Castration is the method by which animals, both male and female, are deprived of parts of their generative organs ( testicles and ovaries ). The term does seem to be used more often to apply to removal of the testicles from a male animal, whereas 'spaying' is used, to refer to castration of a female.

Chambers's Encyclopaedia 1935 makes the following statement, about the castrated animals, which might amuse feminists; "They are in consequence rendered more valuable for working purposes and also tend to grow and fatten much more quickly for the butcher" (italics mine).

A castrated horse is called a gelding.
A castrated bull is called a bullock, a steer, or a stot.
A castrated boar is called a hog.
A castrated ram is called a wether.
A castrated cock is called a capon.

A spayed sow is called a gelt.

Cas*tra"tion (?), n. [L. castratio; cf. F. castration.]

The act of castrating.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.