Mostly, people who think they hate cats simply don't understand feline body language. Unlike dogs, cats aren't likely to come when you snap your fingers and shout "Here, boy!" (or similar). Not that they have any ulterior motive, but anyone who makes that much noise (they figure) must be angry with them for some reason. Since cats don't have a "pack instinct", per se, they don't come over with a contrite look, they simply try to avoid the shouter and finger-popper. If they don't like you, they won't come over. Period. Quiet people are more likely to attract the cat's attention -- that's why most PWTTHC's usually have the cat jump on their lap.

Cats rub against peoples' legs -- this sometimes is interpreted by the human as aggression, as well. It looks like they might bite. Not so. They are marking your leg with their scent glands and making your acquaintance. Do not attempt to pat or manhandle a cat: they don't take well to it. Instead, judge what parts of the cat cannot be easily washed (top of head, nape of neck, base of tail) and rub them gently. The cat will think you are grooming it, and accept you as a friend. Full acceptance comes when the cat gives you headbutts, and/or flops down on their back, looking at you suggestively. Female cats will take well to a belly-rub at this point, but not male (girl cats think you want their milk -- a compliment!, boys just think you're interested in disembowelment). A cat who brings you a "present" (of a dead mouse or similar) isn't interested in showing fealty, instead they're trying to teach you to hunt, or wants to play. Signal that you care by giving them something to eat or handing them a ball. With care, cat and man can cohabit. Cat and woman already do.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.