So I'm in line at the Post Office waiting to mail something, along with about 20 other people. And this guy right behind me (a well-tanned fellow with longish hair and what could only be called a "casual outfit") has his phone ring. It's the loudest phone ring I've ever heard. It sounds like a tornado siren or something.

Is he ashamed? Is he reluctant to answer it? Hell, no. He flips the little bastard open and begins to speak in the most horrible, loud, grating voice known to exist.

I'm at the Post Office!
Well, that depends on you!
Why don't I just meet you down at the shop?
OK, man, see you then!

I don't know, maybe these things are really going to be the new way to communicate. But there are going to be some folks who die first, with these little flip phones clutched in their bloody hands.

Unlike most other technology, cellular phones are a more common sight outside of the United States than inside. This is because we Americans already have extensive, cheap land lines that go everywhere, and greedy cell phone service providers like MCI and AT&T. Even the best American cell phone deal is worse than what you'd get in, say, Finland or Israel, where the cost per minute is comprable to POTS. In countries with really poor telephone infastructures, such as Brazil, the cell phone is the most reliable way to communicate.

Also, the data on cancer is still inconclusive. There are some studies that show it occurs, and other that show it doesn't. One way to avoid it is to wear the cell phone clipped to your belt, and use a connected headset to hold your conversations. When you do it in public, this has the added bonus of making you look like a schizophrenic having an imaginary conversation.

It is also a very good idea, when you want to talk on the phone in the car, to use a hands-free device that essentially turns your cell phone into a speakerphone. In many countries, this is mandatory.

A cell phone, or mobile phone, is the bane of our society. It allows people to be contacted when they do not wish to be. It annoys people on trains and buses ("Hello, I'm on the train."). It bleeps in such a manner that everybody within a radius of 20 metres checks their bags or pockets, even those without cellphones. Pagers at least allowed you to ignore people trying to get in touch with you, but with cell phones there is no escape.

In some countries (e.g. Sweden) the cell phone companies actually give out information about where a particular user is at the time, as you can be tracked by which cell you are in.

To stop cell phones going off in restaurants, museums, cinemas etc., there is a device which blocks the microwaves going to the phone, but these are illegal in the UK (I'm not sure about other countries).

There is a wide range of accessories available for the cell phone, for example cases, handsfree kits, car kits, changeable fascias, light-up antennae, flashing keyrings, and many more.

In the UK, if you use a cell phone while driving, you can be fined for not paying due care and attention, or for not maintaining proper control of the vehicle.

In short, though the mobile telecommunications industry has been given a boost by the invention of the cell phone, other companies will join me in renouncing it as a cheaper alternative to SRBRs.
Telecommunication is not for the feeble-minded.


The Nodeshell Rescue Team

A Cell Phone is a small, handheld two-way communication device which uses a microwave radio signal to link into pre-existing telephone communication grids through a network of ‘Cells,' broadcast/receiver towers located at regular intervals throughout population centers.

Introduced into first world, industrialized nations in the 1980's, Cell Phones attained widespread acceptance and use among most demographic groups by the turn of the millennium. In 1999, there were an estimated 24 million cell phones in use in North America, and approximately 2 million PCS phones, (a higher frequency digital version of the original analogue Cell Phone.)

As a result of this new trend in communications, observable behavioral features began to emerge which might collectively be termed, ‘Cell Phone Culture.'

Phones ringing or being answered in theaters during performances, while driving, or while in public washrooms all gave rise to enthusiastic public debate. Of significant interest is the effect Cell Phone use appears to have on the stress level in people. A common complaint regarding Cell Phone Culture is that many users feel they are never entirely free from work responsibilities during times traditionally considered off limits to anything but personal pursuit and leisure.

Another of the more significant factors surrounding Cell Phone use is that of public health. After an early flurry of concerns during the mid 90's that microwave Cell Phone radiation may have been linked to increased instances of Cancer, the entire issue seemed nearly to vanish from public concern during the late 90's and early years of the third millennium. Interestingly, this trend continued despite numerous studies in various countries which found that Cell Phone Radiation had many unexpected effects upon biological systems. While connections to Cancer were found to be tenuous, regular short term exposure to Cell Phone Radiation was found to have significant impact upon memory and cognition, glandular function, permeability of cell walls in the brain, and EEG sleep patterns.

For more information on this subject see, Cell Phone Radiation.

The Global Village

A vibrating function. A hands free
system
. A cover which expresses
my personality. A special ring for when
the boss is calling. The Cuban missile crisis.

The ability to choose from a wide range
of contracts. A week's worth of stand-by time.
The way it reflects the ceiling. The way our bombs

come rolling from the sun.
The Evil Empire. The way it fits
in the palm of your hand. Grenades,
their insides whirling with shrapnel.
The look on the faces of the guys

at the office. You can use it to get football scores,
or to tell you about the weather. In Vietnam, it's raining

napalm. It's a good idea to get insurance
in case of loss, damage, or theft.
Maoist rebels in Nepal don't believe
in private property. When the revolution comes,
we'll all be able to ring our houses and ask them
to leave a heater on for us. The white light

of a pre-emptive strike.
The bastards won't know what
is about to fall from the sky.
Cluster bombs in Afghanistan
were mistaken by some for food parcels
.
You can access stock market reports,
which comes in handy.

In certain parts of the world, such as the United States of America and South Africa, a mobile phone is called a "cell phone". During the last decade of the 20th century and thereafter these mobile communications devices have become ever more popular, ever smaller, and ever more functional. Possessing a mobile phone was noteworthy circa 1993, but by 2007, not having one is noteworthy.

Certainly they have rapidly become a ubiquitous part of the social fabric, and are a large part of a change to a more fluid, less planned style of social interaction utilising multiple modes of communication.

The name "Cell phone" is short for "cellular telephone", cellular meaning that the device communicates at any one time with the nearest/best signalling base station, and during that time is in that base station's "cell". The Webster 1913 meaning of "cell" in this context is #1: "A very small and close apartment". Of course it's not that small, it can range for kilometres.

"Mobile", of course means that you can take it with you.

Essence and Accident

Having used both names for the device, I feel that "cell" refers to an accident of the current implementation of the network; but that "mobile" describes succinctly what makes it different from its predecessors. The term "cell" may become inaccurate due to a technological change, but if the "mobile" aspect changes, it will be a different device. Also, "Cell" has many diverse meanings, "Mobile" is less ambiguous."Mobile" is widely understood and descriptive, "cell" is neither. It is opaque, dead verbiage.

Therefore "mobile phone" is a far better term.

Living in a cell phone

On the treadmill/ Music measures time/ Reflections of the world/ A like on my face/ Breaking the glass/ No directions/ Games apart of games/ Swinging past/ So gentrification/ Tattoo interaction/ Rockin the town/ No time/ Show and tell again/ Cups set down/ As if talkin/ Beautiful fashion/ New installation/ Weight of the world/ I hold on/ Far from home/ Need direction/ They're bouncing/ A void and/ They're tripping/ At arm's length/ Her tee hiding/ Giving a hand/ An app for this place/ sick communication

Living in a cell.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.