Chapters are divisions within some sort of linear work, such as a book or a DVD movie. Chapter order used to be much more important than it is now, since they were designed to be read in order. Now, with many things becoming hypertext like web sites, people tend to read things all out of order.

Chap"ter (?), n. [OF. chapitre, F. chapitre, fr. L. capitulum, dim. of caput head, the chief person or thing, the principal division of a writing, chapter. See Chief, and cf, Chapiter.]

1.

A division of a book or treatise; as, Genesis has fifty chapters.

2. Eccl. (a)

An assembly of monks, or of the prebends and other clergymen connected with a cathedral, conventual, or collegiate church, or of a diocese, usually presided over by the dean.

(b)

A community of canons or canonesses.

(c)

A bishop's council.

(d)

A business meeting of any religious community.

3.

An organized branch of some society or fraternity as of the Freemasons.

Robertson.

4.

A meeting of certain organized societies or orders.

5.

A chapter house.

[R.]

Burrill.

6.

A decretal epistle.

Ayliffe.

7.

A location or compartment.

In his bosom! In what chapter of his bosom? Shak.

Chapter head, ∨ Chapter heading, that which stands at the head of a chapter, as a title. -- Chapter house, a house or room where a chapter meets, esp. a cathedral chapter. -- The chapter of accidents, chance. Marryat.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chap"ter (?), v. t.

1.

To divide into chapters, as a book.

Fuller.

2.

To correct; to bring to book, i. e., to demand chapter and verse.

[Obs.]

Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.