...or sticking hands, is a method of training from the southern Chinese Wing Chun style, used to develop sensitivity in the arms. It is similar to the Taoist principle of wu wei. You touch your hands to another's hands and follow their movements, but you must be free of self-consciousness and deliberation, to allow a harmonious, fluid energy. Do not localize your mind; it should be diffused throughout the body.

Chi sao has one-handed and two-handed training, and with the exception of the former, all positions are elbow-in.

And it freaks out your co-workers when they see you doing it.

The core movements of Wing Tsun chi sao are summarized in a practice called poon sao. Poon sao is chi sao where one refrains from any techniques and simply does the familiar rolling motions with a partner. Even within poon sao, there is room for a lifetime of practice.

Poon sao contains at three core principles: tan sao ("palm-up arm"), bong sao ("wing arm"), and fuk sao ("sensing arm"). These three techniques are often called the "seed techniques" of Wing Tsun/Chun.

In chi sao, perfect posture and sensitivity are everything. Any mistake in either category can be capitalized upon by a competent practitioner, and since a Wing Tsun stylist never strikes once, to be capitalized upon is to be defeated. Poon sao/chi sao is even more fun than it looks.

Your body is with-holding a thousand and one secrets from you. It knows more than you will ever learn. Practice chi sao, and it might let something slip.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.