In motor racing, a chicane is a type of corner that is like a little quirk in a road course - just a quick right-left or (left-right) in the road. For such a simple idea, they can be among the most challenging parts of a track. Laguna Seca Raceway's Corkscrew is an example of a difficult chicane.

Chicane alias Nick Bracegirdle has been highly acclaimed as one of the UK's hottest writer/producers since his release'Offshore' hit the charts in December 1996.
Offshore, an original favorite of Ibiza luminary Jose Padilla, was often heard in its initial ambient form at the now legendary Cafe Del Mar sunset sessions. The epitome of laid back cool, this classic Ibiza anthem was later remixed (under Nick Bracegirdle's guise, Disco Citizens) before being launched on an unsuspecting club public. It's since appeared on TV in its various incarnations as the soundtrack to everything from Grandstand to Gardeners World.

With this diverse acceptance it comes as no surprise to find that one of Nick's earliest influences was the classic album 'Oxygene' by Jean Michel Jarre.

"At the time I was studying piano and guitar classically, however it was like I was just playing music, it didn't make sense." "That one record changed everything for me." Maybe this helps to explain Nick's acute sense of timing and uncanny sense of melody.


(from www.chicaneonline.com)

Chi*cane" (?), n. [F., prob. earlier meaning a dispute, orig. in the game of mall (F. mail), fr. LGr. &?; the game of mall, fr Pers chaugAn club or bat; or possibly ultimated fr. L. ciccus a trible.]

The use of artful subterfuge, designed to draw away attention from the merits of a case or question; -- specifically applied to legal proceedings; trickery; chicanery; caviling; sophistry. Prior.

To shuffle from them by chicane.
Burke.

To cut short this chicane, I propound it fairly to your own conscience.
Berkeley.

 

© Webster 1913


Chi*cane", v. i. [Cf. F. chicaner. See Chicane, n.]

To use shifts, cavils, or artifices. Burke.

 

© Webster 1913


Chi*cane" (?), n. (Card playing)

In bridge, the holding of a hand without trumps, or the hand itself. It counts as simple honors.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.