A chip shot is, very specifically, a putt-type stroke made with any club (though the 7-iron does tend to work as a general rule) where the ball is played off the right foot and the hands are held ahead of the ball. One then rotates the shoulders, keeping the hands and arms out of the shot completely. Hold the angle between the hands and the clubhead steady as one brings the clubhead back, and swing a little outside the line. This outside the line takeaway with no wrist cock differentiates a chip shot from a pitch shot.

These setup changes result in the second-most accurate shot in golf (with the putt being the most accurate). The ball is played off the right foot to completely eliminate the possibility of hitting it fat. The idea is to get the ball over any rough or fringe, and for the ball to roll like a putt as soon as possible. Follow through just like a putt.

One can perform a chip with any club; in fact the popularity of chipping with 3-woods has developed into the sale of 3-wood loft offset putters. Personally, I prefer a 7-iron (for lengthy chips or for chips with just a little fringe and/or rough) or a pitching wedge (for more rough and less green).

Sweep the club through the ball just like a putt. Dave Pelz did tests where he concluded that maximum accuracy can be attained with a chip shot by imparting it with the least spin possible. Barring the shot specifically requiring spin, sweeping the clubhead smoothly rather than a descending spinny chop will result in a more consistent shot.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.