Clairvoyance is the E.S.P. ability to sense by way of the powers of the mind rather than through the physical senses. For example, a person with clairvoyance may be able to sense what is occuring in the next room as though she or he had 'X-ray vision', or she or he might suddenly sense an event occuring thousands of miles away. Legitimate scientific studies of clairvoyance have netted mixed results, not enough to prove or disprove it. However, clairvoyance remains a popular psionic power in SF.

AD&D Wizard spell, Level three

Range: Unlimited
Duration: 1rd/level
Area Of Effect: Line of Sight
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 3
Saving Throw: None

Similar to the clairaudience spell, the clairvoyance spell empowers the wizard to see in his mind whatever is within sight range from the spell locale chosen. Distance from the is not a factor, but the locale must be known-familiar or obvious. Furthermore, light is a factor as the spell does not enable the use of infravision ot magical anhancements. If the area is magically dark, only darkness is seen. If the area is naturally pitch dark, only a to-foot radius from the center of the spell's area of effect is seen. Otherwise, the seeing extends to the normal vision range according to the prevailing light. Lead sheeting or magical protection foils a clairvoyance spell, and the wizard has some indication that it is so blocked. The spell creates an invisible sensor, similar to that created by a crystal ball spell, that can be dispelled. The spell functions only on the wizard's current plane of existence.

The material component is a pinch of a powdered pineal gland.

Clair*voy"ance (?), n. [F.]

A power, attributed to some persons while in a mesmeric state, of discering objects not perceptible by the senses in their normal condition.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.