int main() {

   write( 1, "\033[1;1H\033[2J", 10 );
   return 0;

}
That is the UNIX clear program. Clear?

Why do those OSS people bother to distribute that source code? :)
The Unix command clear does exactly what it says on the tin: it clears your console of irritating clutter.

If only I could run clear on my life: I could get rid of my irritating family, cancel Ally McBeal, shut Anne Widdecombe up, get my boss faxed to Amsterdam, discover some friends who aren't emotional cripples, get that mythical job that actually involves some programming, and finally get some instant meals that are edible.

Back to CSS1 Reference | CSS1 Properties
Prev border-width | Next color


Property
clear
Values
none, left, right, both
Initial
none
Inherited
no

This property specifies if an element allows floating elements on its sides. More specifically, the value of this property lists the sides where floating elements are not accepted. With 'clear' set to 'left', an element will be moved below any floating element on the left side. With 'clear' set to 'none', floating elements are allowed on all sides. Example:

      H1 { clear: left }

Clear (?), a. [Compar. Clearer (?); superl. Clearest.] [OE. cler, cleer, OF. cler, F. clair, fr.L. clarus, clear, broght, loud, distinct, renownwd; perh. akin to L. clamare to call, E. claim. Cf. Chanticleer, Clairvoyant, Claret, Clarufy.]

1.

Free from opaqueness; transparent; bright; light; luminous; unclouded.

The stream is so transparent, pure, and clear. Denham.

Fair as the moon, clear as the sun. Canticles vi. 10.

2.

Free from ambiquity or indistinctness; lucid; perspicuous; plain; evident; manifest; indubitable.

One truth is clear; whatever is, is right. Pop.

3.

Able to perceive clearly; keen; acute; penetrating; discriminating; as, a clear intellect; a clear head.

Mother of science! now I feel thy power Within me clear, not only to discern Things in their causes, but to trace the ways Of highest agents. Milton.

4.

Not clouded with passion; serene; cheerful.

With a countenance as clear As friendship wears at feasts. Shak.

5.

Easily or distinctly heard; audible; canorous.

Hark! the numbers soft and clear Gently steal upon the ear. Pope.

6.

Without mixture; entirely pure; as, clear sand.

7.

Without defect or blemish, such as freckles or knots; as, a clear complexion; clear lumber.

8.

Free from guilt or stain; unblemished.

Statesman, yet friend to truth! in soul sincere, In action faithful, and in honor clear. Pope.

9.

Without diminution; in full; net; as, clear profit.

I often wished that I had clear, For life, six hundred pounds a-year. Swift
.

10.

Free from impediment or obstruction; unobstructed; as, a clear view; to keep clear of debt.

My companion . . . left the way clear for him. Addison.

11.

Free from embarrassment; detention, etc.

The cruel corporal whispered in my ear, Five pounds, if rightly tipped, would set me clear. Gay.

Clear breach. See under Breach, n., 4. -- Clear days Law., days reckoned from one day to another, excluding both the first and last day; as, from Sunday to Sunday there are six clear days. -- Clear stuff, boards, planks, etc., free from knots.

Syn. -- Manifest; pure; unmixed; pellucid; transparent; luminous; obvious; visible; plain; evident; apparent; distinct; perspicuous. See Manifest.

 

© Webster 1913.


Clear (?), n. Carp.

Full extent; distance between extreme limits; especially; the distance between the nearest surfaces of two bodies, or the space between walls; as, a room ten feet square in the clear.

 

© Webster 1913.


Clear, adv.

1.

In a clear manner; plainly.

Now clear I understand What oft . . . thoughts have searched in vain. Milton.

2.

Without limitation; wholly; quite; entirely; as, to cut a piece clear off.

 

© Webster 1913.


Clear, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cleared (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Clearing.]

1.

To render bright, transparent, or undimmed; to free from clouds.

He sweeps the skies and clears the cloudy north. Dryden.

2.

To free from impurities; to clarify; to cleanse.

3.

To free from obscurity or ambiguity; to relive of perplexity; to make perspicuous.

Many knotty points there are Which all discuss, but few can clear. Prior.

4.

To render more quick or acute, as the understanding; to make perspicacious.

Our common prints would clear up their understandings. Addison

5.

To free from impediment or incumbrance, from defilement, or from anything injurious, useless, or offensive; as, to clear land of trees or brushwood, or from stones; to clear the sight or the voice; to clear one's self from debt; -- often used with of, off, away, or out.

Clear your mind of cant. Dr. Johnson.

A statue lies hid in a block of marble; and the art of the statuary only clears away the superfluous matter. Addison.

6.

To free from the imputation of guilt; to justify, vindicate, or acquit; -- often used with from before the thing imputed.

I . . . am sure he will clear me from partiality. Dryden.

How! wouldst thou clear rebellion? Addison.

7.

To leap or pass by, or over, without touching or fallure; as, to clear a hedge; to clear a reef.

8.

To gain without deduction; to net.

The profit which she cleared on the cargo. Macaulay.

To clear a ship at the customhouse, to exhibit the documents required by law, give bonds, or perform other acts requisite, and procure a permission to sail, and such papers as the law requires. -- To clear a ship for action, or To clear for action Naut., to remove incumbrances from the decks, and prepare for an engagement. -- To clear the land Naut., to gain such a distance from shore as to have sea room, and be out of danger from the land. -- To clear hawse Naut., to disentangle the cables when twisted. -- To clear up, to explain; to dispel, as doubts, cares or fears.

 

© Webster 1913.


Clear (?), v. i.

1.

To become free from clouds or fog; to become fair; -- often fallowed by up, off, or away.

So foul a sky clears without a strom. Shak.

Advise him to stay till the weather clears up. Swift.

2.

To disengage one's self from incumbrances, distress, or entanglements; to become free.

[

He that clears at once will relapse; for finding himself out of straits, he will revert to the customs; but he that cleareth by degrees induceth a habit of frugality. Bacon.

3. Banking

To make exchanges of checks and bills, and settle balances, as is done in a clearing house.

4.

To obtain a clearance; as, the steamer cleared for Liverpool to-day.

To clear out, to go or run away; to depart. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.