A cold call is an unsolicited phone call from a company representative attempting to make a sale. Cold callers are often berated due to the invasive but unavoidable nature of their calls.

Once, I spent a fun-filled week doing cold calls, or they were for me.

As most young people, I had a desperate need for money, so I even took this, though I knew it wasn't what I was cut out for. I think I was trying to sell dinner club memberships in some hotel in North Toronto; I had never been there, and I still haven't.

What attracted me was not the commission, but the statement no experience required, and the promise, if not of easy money, but of a minimal salary, even if I didn't make any sales--at least for the first week; I needed the money that bad.

Never have I been so stiff, and scared, going into any place day after day. The morning routine didn't help much: the high-flyer--the guy--would read the horoscope from the The Toronto Sun, and then dive in. The female high-flyer just started her calls.

I was given a pile of index cards, from where I never knew, except that both high-flyers had culled all the easy sales already! I went through the same numbers day after day, hour after hour: the construction sites with no one there, the homes with no one home during the day, the phone numbers with nothing there.

If I was lucky, I had a not uncivil rejection when I finally did make contact.

I observed the high-flyers in hopes of copying their style, and making some sales: the woman, well, I could never imitate her sexy, seductive voice, and I didn't even try. The man, instant best friends was something I just did not feel in that place, at that time--I just wanted to hide.

Actually, he seemed to be that way even when he was not on the phone; she seemed only to turn it on when she was selling--but I guess that style did not work well in the ordinary world, as his did.

After a week, the manager took me aside, and told me. And so ended my week in the world of cold calls.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.