It has come to my attention that several Everythingians are unsure about how to spell come. I am using the word "unsure" in this context as a euphemism for "wrong".

While the Collins English Dictionary is not as highly appraised as Webster 1913, I will nevertheless quote it, as Webster 1913 doesn't appear to have cum, and doesn't explicitly define come (even though he does come close with the following definition):
Come, in the imperative, is used to excite attention, or to invite to motion or joint action

So, to quote the Collins English dictionary:

cum prep.used between two objects to designate an object of a combined nature
Yes, I see how this may have confused many people into thinking that's the correct spelling. However:
come ...... 16. Taboo slang. To have an orgasm.
So, as you can see, there is no doubt. The correct spelling is ejaculate.


P.S. I asked my flatmate if I should write that last line, as it serves no purpose other than humour, and not even much of that. His reply was:
"Give it a shot. A cumshot, as it were."

P.P.S. In as much as pr0n is a word, cum is a word. That is why I wrote "cumshot". "Comeshot" just doesn't look right. The point of my node was not to dismiss "cum" as a word, but I really hate it when people correct me when I'm not wrong.

The distinction as I see it:

Come, v. 1. To ejaculate. 2. To experience orgasm.

Cum, n. 1. The physical evidence left when one comes.

"Come" can be conjugated; "cum" is post-conjugal.  Sometimes "cum" gets conjugated all over the place, but such usage is rather sloppy.

Notice how the cum/come distinction can be subtle: "Bob has come on his hands", meaning that he has ejaculated upon his hands, vs. "Bob has cum on his hands", meaning that he has semen-stuff on his hands, without explicitly stating whom that cum came from!




Footprints says re come vs. cum: your last line is fantabulous. You should expand it to a Seuss-like poem: "upon my bum, said wild Tom Plum, is quite a large amount of cum. I may be dumb, or drunk on rum, but where did all this cum come from?"
Ichiro2k3 says re come vs. cum: The 2000 edition of the American Heritage Dictionary seems to agree with this writeup.

I must mention that some notable writers and publications (the one that first comes to mind being Salon.com) do use the word "cum" according to the dictionary definition ("stripper-cum-vocalist"), and I myself use it a lot in my writings. It is about time we release the cum from its sexual oppression! Cum is a legitimate word, and people shouldn't snicker when they see or hear it!

Even if I do

It should be noted in the "come vs. cum" argument, that the Japanese use the same word for both meanings of "Come" as we do. "Eee Kuu!" Means "I'm coming", whether the person means "I am having an orgasm now", or "I'll be right there," they both are expressed with the same phrase. Could it be, then, that "coming" simply means "arriving" at that place you want to be, whether in sex or in travel? That's what I think it means. People say, I'm getting close... I'm almost there... I'm coming!! and then they're there. I think the word "Come" never was originally meant to be created as a specific, separate term for orgasm, or the stuff that results from orgasm, it just 'came' to be that way. And since Stephen King always spelled it "Come" whether referring to the verb or the noun, I always felt that "Cum" was a gutter spelling, reserved for uneducated types who write in to Penthouse Forum.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.