Comfort eating is what someone may do if they're stressed, depressed or just bored. It fills a void, gives your hands something to do and seems to alleviate the emotional distress, at least for the time being.
The obvious problem with this, is that you don't always make the healthiest eating choices. My favorites include:
Pizza Hut's Mac and cheese (when they still had it, which they don't, dammit!) lasagna, sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, oftentimes with ketchup applied in liberal amounts, or any dessert treat. It probably would also include junk food But I don't keep that stuff in the house, for that reason. I usually eat double or even triple the amount a normal person.
Two pieces of pizza? fuck that! It's three, four, try five pieces. Now, recently I've been desperately trying to make things better for myself. I haven't been eating as much. I've been walking an hour or so every day when it's not too cold and I'll admit that I think that getting back into school will help a lot more than I'm ready to give it credit for just yet. We'll see.

Please note that comfort eating isn't binge and purge although they may be related. I'm no psychologist psychiatrist, etc. And yes, I know I need to see someone. But I've had experiences that make me hesitant to do so again.
Oh well, live and learn.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.