The interpersonal communication process involves the transmission of information and the exchange of meaning.

Buchanan & Huczynski, Organizational Behaviour (1997)

The communication process between a transmitter and receiver can be roughly modeled as follows:
  1. The transmitter performs coding on the message.
  2. The message goes through the transmitter's perceptual filter.
  3. The message is transmitted across a channel.
  4. The message goes through the receiver's perceptual filter.
  5. The receiver performs decoding on the message.
  6. Any feedback goes back through the same sequence in reverse.
Coding and decoding requires use of the same codebook: for example, to two Brits a Daewoo may be an "exotic" car, but not so to a Korean.

Perceptual filters cover the gamut of motives, objectives, personality traits, values, biases and prejudices, in short, the perceptual sets of both parties, which influence the content and expression of the message.

The final but no less important factor is the context of the communication, including status, which may radically alter the importance attached to a message.

back to organizational behavior

References

Buchanan, David and Andrzej Huczynski. Organizational Behaviour, pp. 42-46.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.