A concertmaster is typically the first chair first violinist in an orchestra. For performances, they typically do not come onto stage until the concert is ready to begin. They come onto stage (usually with applause) and lead the orchestra into tuning. It is the concertmaster, along with the first chair cellist, who leads the orchestra into standing in respect for the conductor when he walks on stage. The concertmaster is sometimes given a solo part in the music being played.

The concertmaster plays a much bigger role in smaller groups where a conductor is not needed. They act as the conductor, leading the ensemble and setting the beat. In larger orchestras, the role of the concertmaster is usually simply a reward for exceptional performance in the conductor's eyes.

In a symphony orchestra the Concertmaster is an honored and important position. In smaller orchestras, the concertmaster served as the leader of the orchestra. As orchestras grew, a dedicated conductor was added to control the orchestra, but the concertmaster remains the first among the musicians. He or she is seated to the conductor's immediate left, and lead's the first violin section.

The concertmaster has many duties. The concertmaster must be an superb player, even by symphonic standards. If solo violin parts are called for, the concertmaster will play them, and he or she must set a standard for the other players through the excellence of their playing. In many orchestras, the concertmaster is responsible for preparing the bowings for the strings. This means that the concertmaster will decide how a piece will be bowed, chosing between and up or down strokes so that all the violins (and in doubled sections all the strings) are playing the same way. This keeps the sound is tighter, and the instruments all speak with one voice.

Bowings are indicated on the sheet music through a series of marks that in many ways resemble guitar tablature, and serve a similar purpose as pick marks. Excellence in bowing is one characteristic of the symphony orchestra.

Publicly, the concertmaster is foremost musician. He or she will be the last musician to take their place in the orchestra before the conductor, and will signal the oboe to sound the A 440 tuning note that gives the orchestra its final tuning.

An excellent concertmaster is required for any orchestra of quality.

In the United Kingdom the concertmaster is knows as the Leader of the Orchestra a term which points more directly back to the job's roots. Txikwa contributed that the term concertmaster comes more from the German Symphonic tradition, while leader of the orchestra is Italian. Blame Beethoven.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.