The theft of land from one culture or nation by another, usually by means of war. The European culture acquired the Americas by conquest. China acquired Tibet by conquest. "Conquest is morally equivalent to theft." But the conqueror must assimilate the conquered.

audited 7/24/00 by ModernAngel

Con"quest (?), n. [OF. conquest, conqueste, F. conquete, LL. conquistum, conquista, prop. p.p. from L. conquirere. See Conquer.]

1.

The act or process of conquering, or acquiring by force; the act of overcoming or subduing opposition by force, whether physical or moral; subjection; subjugation; victory.

In joys of conquest he resigns his breath. Addison.

Three years sufficed for the conquest of the country. Prescott.

2.

That which is conquered; possession gained by force, physical or moral.

Wherefore rejoice? What conquest brings he home? Shak.

3. FeudalLaw

The acquiring of property by other means than by inheritance; acquisition.

Blackstone.

4.

The act of gaining or regaining by successful strugle; as, the conquest of liberty or peace.

The Conquest Eng. Hist., the subjugation of England by William of Normandy in 1066.

Syn. -- Victory; triumph; mastery; reduction; subjugation; subjection.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.