Back in the olden days of arcade games, after you lost all your lives, it was game over. And "Game Over" meant game over. You died. You can't play any more. You were either shite at the game and died ten seconds in, or you could spend a whole afternoon on one 10p coin. Then some bright spark realized that you could maybe persuade people to put more money in if you allowed them to carry on after dying for the price of another credit. Thus the question that defines our lives today: "Game Over. Continue?" You're given 10 seconds to come up with an answer before being tossed back to the title screen. Given that loaded kids are more likely than not to put in a coin when they die, this led to the kind of screen filling shmups popular in the 80s, where unless you have the kind of reflexes that let you catch flies with chopsticks, the only way for an ordinary person to see the end of the game is to put in a credit's worth of coins every minute or so. Game designers however, being the good honest people that they are, decreed that you should lose all your points when you die, giving some encouragement to master the game and attain a high score rather than just pay your way to the end.

Of course, translating these games to the home introduced its own problems. Consoles don't have a coin slot you see. So, developers had to come up with some way of preventing people from playing their way through these (rather short) games in one sitting. The generally accepted solution is to limit the player to five credits, and vary this number with the difficulty setting. Some developers decided just to give infinite credits, and this usually earns them a slagging off by weak willed gamers unable to admit defeat and restrain themselves.

Arcade games being all the rage back then, developers of original console games decided that they wanted their works to be just like them. So they added the idea of continuing after you lost all your lives aswell. Often continues were hard to find pick-ups in the game, making them slightly different from the arcade variety. Others just gave you infinite conitnues and sent you back to a save or restart point erasing any progress made since that point. Although, in these games, the idea of continuing is justified, because they often far out stripped arcade games in terms of length and playtime.

C

In C (and therefore in C++, ...), continue is a keyword used to subvert a loop structure. continue skips the rest of the current iteration of the loop; in effect, it is a goto back to the top of the loop, just before the loop test..

Perl

Perl calls continue next. In order not to leave a free keyword, Perl allows you to attach a continue block to any loop. The continue block is executed between every 2 iterations of the loop.

Think of Perl's continue as a block equivalent of the third parameter in a 3-parameter C-style for loop.

Con*tin"ue (?), v. i. [imp. & p.p. Continued (?); p.pr. & vb.n. Continuing.] [F. continuer, L. continuare, -tinuatum, to connect, continue, fr. continuus. See Continuous, and cf. Continuate.]

1.

To remain ina given place or condition; to remain in connection with; to abide; to stay.

Here to continue, and build up here A growing empire. Milton.

They continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat. Matt. xv. 32.

2.

To be permanent or durable; to endure; to last.

But now thy kingdom shall not continue. 1 Sam. xiii. 14.

3.

To be steadfast or constant in any course; to persevere; to abide; to endure; to persist; to keep up or maintain a particular condition, course, or series of actions; as, the army continued to advance.

If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed. John viii. 31.

Syn. -- To persevere; persist. See Persevere.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*tin"ue, v. t.

1.

To unite; to connect.

[Obs.]

the use of the navel is to continue the infant unto the mother. Sir T. browne.

2.

To protract or extend in duration; to preserve or persist in; to cease not.

O continue thy loving kindness unto them that know thee. Ps. xxxvi. 10.

You know how to make yourself happy by only continuing such a life as you have been long acustomed to lead. Pope.

3.

To carry onward or extend; to prolong or produce; to add to or draw out in length.

A bridge of wond'rous length, From hell continued, reaching th' utmost orb of this frall world. Milton.

4.

To retain; to suffer or cause to remain; as, the trustees were continued; also, to suffer to live.

And how shall we continue Claudio. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.