CG-Silicon substrate technology can create a liquid-crystal display (LCD) with an electron mobility 600 times faster than amorphous silicon, and three times faster than low-temperature polysilicon, which are the technologies currently used. CG-Silicon enables the creation of System LCDs (SLCDs) that integrate all driver and operation circuitry--including digital logic, LCD driver, power supply, I/O interfaces, and signal-processing circuitry--onto the glass itself.

Unlike amorphous silicon and low-temperature polysilicon, CG-Silicon has a silicon lattice with atomic-level continuity at the grain boundaries. By eliminating the need to bond external circuits to the display, the technology makes possible smaller, thinner, more versatile, and more powerful and energy-efficient mobile devices.

An SLCD can also incorporate a monolithic circuit at the periphery of the active-matrix display area that includes a full-color source driver with multiple-function blocks, a binary source drive, a gate driver, and a clock generator. A recent proof-of-concept demonstration also integrated an 8-bit CPU onto an LCD substrate, promising the eventual integration of all circuitry onto the display glass.

Update November 2003

Sharp and Semiconductor Energy Laboratory have created a System LCD panel speaker prototype that integrates a 4-in. VGA LCD with piezoelectric acoustic drivers and all required audio circuitry.

The piezoelectric audio transducers are based on flat-speaker technology licensed from a British company called New Transducers. The Distributed-Mode Actuators (DMA) created on the LCD's substrate vibrate the glass surface to produce sound.

In addition to the DMA elements, the CGS substrate includes a shift register, latch, D/A converter, analog input preamplifier, volume control, and power amplifier, providing both the power and control aspects of the audio circuit.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.