Eggs, chicken and pork all benefit from not being overcooked. Overcooked scrambled eggs will be watery. Why? Well, when the eggs first set, they've reached a temperature of about 145°F. They are ready to eat at this point. If the temperature of the eggs rises further, to about 165°F, the protein in the eggs undergoes a second chemical change which results in a tighter protein matrix. This squeezes water out of the eggs, resulting in tough watery eggs.

A similar process occurs in pork. When pork is just done, it's at about 145°F as well. It is as tender as it will ever be. If the temperature of the pork is allowed to rise over about 170°F, water will be squeezed out of the pork, and the pork will toughen. Unlike the ruined eggs, however, the pork can be brought back to salvation. Heating to 185°F for an extended period of time results in a third chemical change in the pork. This change affects the interconnectedness of the individual strands of muscle constituting the pork. The pork will break into pieces after heating this hot over a long period of time. This is the fundamental goodness of Carolina Bar-B-Que.

Chicken breast behaves much like pork in that it possesses a similar set of three chemical changes that occur as it's cooked, at similar temperatures. Another aspect of cooking to the second degree of tender is that a smaller piece of meat is produced. Some pork will shrink by as much as 50% during good pulled pork cooking.

There a few halachic problems with cooking eggs, chicken, and pork.

Firstly, the torah prohibits the eating of pork since pigs, despite having split hooves, do not chew their cud.

Secondly, the chicken may be a kashrut issue if it is not slaughtered and salted according to Jewish law.

And finally, if one puts milk in his scrambled eggs or uses butter (or any other dairy product), one violates the prohibition of cooking (and likely eating) dairy products and meat together.

However, even though "thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk" (Exodus 23:19), there is actually no prohibition to eating a mother in its baby's yolk.

So for those who would like to prepare the above in a kosher environment, simply use margarine, glatt chicken, mock pork (or just switch to beef) and you're set.

Bon appetite

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.