Cor*rec"tion (k&-'rek-sh&n), n. [L. correctio: cf. F. correction.]

1.

The act of correcting, or making that right which was wrong; change for the better; amendment; rectification, as of an erroneous statement.

The due correction of swearing, rioting, neglect of God's word, and other scandalous vices. Strype.

2.

The act of reproving or punishing, or that which is intended to rectify or to cure faults; punishment; discipline; chastisement.

Correction and instruction must both work
Ere this rude beast will profit.
Shak.

3.

That which is substituted in the place of what is wrong; an emendation; as, the corrections on a proof sheet should be set in the margin.

4.

Abatement of noxious qualities; the counteraction of what is inconvenient or hurtful in its effects; as, the correction of acidity in the stomach.

5.

An allowance made for inaccuracy in an instrument; as, chronometer correction; compass correction.

Correction line Surv., a parallel used as a new base line in laying out township in the government lands of the United States. The adoption at certain intervals of a correction line is necessitated by the convergence of of meridians, and the statute requirement that the townships must be squares. -- House of correction, a house where disorderly persons are confined; a bridewell. -- Under correction, subject to correction; admitting the possibility of error.

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.