display | more...

The Cracks Of Doom (also known as Sammath Naur in the Sindarin tongue) are found in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-Earth. They lie on Mount Doom in Mordor and are the workshop of the dark lord Sauron. It was in this place, in the II 1600, that Sauron forged The One Ring, granting him power over the wearers of the other 19 Rings of Power. Only here could the One Ring ever be 'un-made'. From the very entrance, a road leads down the mountain, across the plains of Gorgoroth to Sauron's tower, Barad-dûr.

It was to this fearful place Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee of the Company of the Ring came to destroy the The One Ring, the vessel that holds Sauron's power. Frodo in fact chooses not to throw away the ring, and finally claims it as his own. As he puts on the ring, the Eye of Sauron turns upon him; in an instance perceiving the terrible plan of his enemies. Unknown to those in Sammath Naur, Gollum (or Sméagol) has crept in, and tries to wrest the ring from Frodo, biting the very finger which wore the Ring from Frodo's hand. As he gloats at the edge of pit, he falls, taking the Ring with him. Thus, the Ring is un-made in the fires in which it was forged, robbing Sauron of all the power he put into it and leaving him as a powerless ghost. Everything made with the Ring at the same time crumbles, and passes away.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.