Actually quite a bit more like a cookie, crescent cakes are something of a standard dessert for any Pagan celebration, though they are particularly appropriate at Esbats and any Goddess-oriented ritual. Called "crescent cakes" because they are shaped like moons.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Mix together dry ingredients (almonds, sugar, flour) in a large bowl until uniform. Use hands to mix in softened butter, egg yolk, and almond extract. Chill for about 2 hours. Then, take walnut-sized balls of dough and shape them into crescents on a large cookie sheet. Bake them at 325º F for 20 (twenty) minutes.

Cookies will not rise or spread out as they cook, and may be a somewhat dry snack, so have milk or other favorite beverages handy.

This recipe and several variations are a standard in the Pagan community and is public domain. However, the version I have heard most came from Scott Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, © 1988, as a suggestion for the "cakes" for your cakes and wine.

Note: You are unlikely to find ground almonds, so you can do what I do: Buy slivered almonds and then use a nut-grinder. It is easy to find an inexpensive nut-grinder; just turn the crank and get powder. It beats putting them in a plastic bag and banging them with a hammer, which is what I used to do before the nut-grinder. :)

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.