Crescent is also an album by John Coltrane created in 1964 with his classic quartet consisting of Elvin Jones on drums, McCoy Tyner on piano and Jimmy Garrison on bass.
Track Listing:
1. Crescent
2. Wise One
3. Bessie's Blues
4. Lonnie's Lament
5. The Drum Thing

This would be the last album Trane would release before A Love Supreme, in spite of this, the album is suprisingly melodic. All of the pieces are Trane's own compositions, and the mood betrays none of intensity and energy that was soon to come. Instead, it's a relatively tranquil 40 minutes of music. Definetely not a good place to start listening to Trane, but a good listen nonetheless.

Serving New York, Washington, D.C., Charlotte, Atlanta, New Orleans, and intermediate points

Amtrak train numbers: 19 and 20

Predecessor railroad train numbers: Southern 37 and 38; 1 and 2 (1970s)

The Southern Railway inaugurated the Crescent Limited in 1925 as their flagship train between New York and New Orleans, running through Atlanta, Montgomery, and Mobile, Alabama, named both for New Orleans' Crescent City nickname and for the fact that the train's route was crescent-shaped.

The Crescent Limited name was dropped after a few years due to the Great Depression, but on April 30, 1938, it was reintroduced as a streamlined train with a streamlined name, now known as just the Crescent.

The Southern's other main New York-New Orleans train was the Southerner, running via Birmingham, Alabama and Hattiesburg, Mississippi. In the late 1960s, due to declining ridership, the Southern combined the two trains as the Southern Crescent on the Southerner's former route.

Southern was one of the few railroads to choose not to join Amtrak in 1971, and so the Southern Crescent continued, running between Washington and Birmingham daily (with a connection from Boston provided by Amtrak), extended to New Orleans three days a week. Southern ran a classier operation than Amtrak (for example, serving meals on real china in the dining car while Amtrak used plasticware on their trains), but eventually threw in the towel on their passenger operations at the end of the 1970s. Amtrak took over the train on February 1, 1979, extending the northern terminus back to New York City, reshortening the name to Crescent, and restoring daily operation over the entire route.

Condensed historical timetables:
           READ DOWN                                          READ UP
(1956)  (1972)  (1979)  (2002)                    (2002)  (1979)  (1972)  (1956)
 2:00P   -----   2:15P   3:15P Dp New York     Ar  1:52P   1:35P   -----   9:00A
 6:10P   7:00P   7:30P   7:45P    Washington       9:45A   9:10A   8:15A   4:55A
 2:05A   3:00A   3:34A   4:05A    Charlotte        1:29A  12:20A  12:05A   7:15P
 8:35A   8:30A   9:05A   9:53A    Atlanta          7:46P   7:05P   7:00P   1:45P
 -----  12:05P  12:15P   1:14P    Birmingham       2:07P   1:55P   2:10P   -----
11:40A   -----   -----   -----    Montgomery       -----   -----   -----   7:15A
 6:55P   8:00P   8:00P   8:28P Ar New Orleans  Dp  7:00A   6:45A   7:00A  11:00P

The Amtrak Train Names Project

Cres"cent (kr?s"sent), n. [OE. cressent, cressaunt, crescent (in sense 1), OF. creissant increasing, F. croissant, p. pr. of crotre, OF. creistre, fr. L. crescere to increase, v. incho.; akin to creare to create. See Create, and cf. Accrue, Increase, Crescendo.]

1.

The increasing moon; the moon in her first quarter, or when defined by a concave and a convex edge; also, applied improperly to the old or decreasing moon in a like state.

2.

Anything having the shape of a crescent or new moon.

3.

A representation of the increasing moon, often used as an emblem or badge

; as: (a)

A symbol of Artemis, or Diana.

(b)

The ancient symbol of Byzantium or Constantinople.

Hence: (c)

The emblem of the Turkish Empire, adopted after the taking of Constantinople.

The cross of our faith is replanted, The pale, dying crescent is daunted. Campbell.

4.

Any one of three orders of knighthood; the first instituted by Charles I., king of Naples and Sicily, in 1268; the second by Ren'e of Anjou, in 1448; and the third by the Sultan Selim III., in 1801, to be conferred upon foreigners to whom Turkey might be indebted for valuable services.

Brande & C.

5. Her.

The emblem of the increasing moon with horns directed upward, when used in a coat of arms; -- often used as a mark of cadency to distinguish a second son and his descendants.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cres"cent (kr?s"sent), a.

1.

Shaped like a crescent.

Astarte, queen of heaven, with crescent horns. Milton.

2.

Increasing; growing.

O, I see the crescent promise of my spirit hath not set. Tennyson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cres"cent, v. t.

1.

To form into a crescent, or something resembling a crescent.

[R.]

Anna Seward.

2.

To adorn with crescents.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.