A board used for keeping score in the card game cribbage. The board can be very simple or very elaborate, small enough to fit in a pocket or large enough to hang on a wall. Pegs are moved around the board's holes, and the first to peg 121 points is the winner.

Cribbage boards come in several basic varieties:
  • The "traditional" model, featuring four parallel tracks (otherwise known as "streets") of 30 holes each. Players "loop" around the board twice in a game to 121, using two of the tracks. This board is highly suited to shorter games to 61 or even 61 points.
  • The "snake" model, featuring two continuous tracks of 120 holes arranged in a spiral formation.
  • The "N" model, featuring two continuous tracks of 120 holes arranged in an "N" formation.
  • The "long board," featuring two continuous tracks of 120 holes, each running the length of the board and turning around after 60 holes.

Many other stylized versions and "novelty" boards exist. Generally, however, each track (regardless of design) is broken up into blocks of five holes each, for ease of counting.

While the basic descriptions of the "snake" and "N" model are accurate, they incorrectly restrict the number of tracks to 2. I have played on multi-track versions (I have seen up to 6 - which if playing with that many hands, really confuses the deal and throwing off to the crib).

The traditional listing is correct.

I personally own a marvelous board of 4 tracks in a 120 hole "oval" shape. I consider this neither stylized nor a novelty.

Larger boards have additional holes outside the tracks to maintain a running count of games, skunks, total points over multiple games, corners (a personal fav in extended game settings), and even high hands within a game. The latter 3 items in that list could be consider novel, but tracking games and skunks is quite traditional.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.