A person's crotch is, as Webster 1913 suggests, the region wherein his or her legs meet. On the human body, the most visible features of the crotch are the genitalia, or external reproductive organs: the penis and scrotum in men, and the vulva in women. The crotch might be regarded as extending as far back as the anus, though it certainly stops short of the buttocks.

The word "crotch" is rarely used to refer pleasantly to the region in question. Perhaps because of its earthy, Anglo-Saxon sound, people tend to use it in referring to things they find painful (e.g. kick in the crotch, jamming a pair of scissors into your crotch repeatedly, crotch grab) or shameful (e.g. crotch shot, crotchless panties).

A somewhat less-charged synonym is "groin", which has the added class of being an architectural term.

Crotch (kr?ch; 224), n.; pl. Crotches (-&?;z). [Cf. Crotchet, Crutch.]

1.

The angle formed by the parting of two legs or branches; a fork; the point where a trunk divides; as, the crotch of a tree.

2. (Naut.)

A stanchion or post of wood or iron, with two arms for supporting a boom, spare yards, etc.; -- called also crane and crutch. Totten.

 

© Webster 1913


Crotch, n. (Billiards)

In the three-ball carom game, a small space at each corner of the table. See Crotched, below.

 

© Webster 1913


Crotch, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Crotched (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Crotch"ing.]

1.

To provide with a crotch; to give the form of a crotch to; as, to crotch the ends of ropes in splicing or tying knots.

2. (Logging)

To notch (a log) on opposite sides to provide a grip for the dogs in hauling. [Western, U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.