Cryptome exists to publish (and archive) information on the subject of national security, cryptography, privacy, civil liberties, etcetera. It is maintained by John Young, a New York architect turned webmaster.

To quote the site:

Cryptome welcomes documents for publication that are prohibited by governments worldwide, in particular material on freedom of expression, privacy, cryptology, dual-use technologies, national security and intelligence -- open, secret and classified documents -- but not limited to those.

Documents are removed from this site only by order served directly by a US court having jurisdiction. No court order has ever been served1...

Cryptome does not run editorials, commentary, columns or opinion pieces. Here you will only find raw information. It is up to you to judge it's authenticity, reliability, and relevance.

A large proportion of the material is obtained through the FOIA requests, but now and again some information is published which was never intended for the public eye. Examples include a complete list of the Japanese Public Security Investigation Agency employee name's, addresses and telephone numbers.

There are sections dedicated to DeCSS, Echelon, MI6, TEMPEST, GSM security (could be better), and the freeware version of PGP is available to people of all nationalities. It was also one of the highest-profile websites to still mirror DeCSS, despite recieving two three cease and desist letters from the MPAA1. Transcripts for the DeCSS trial (and the on-going appeal) are also available.

Most recently, Cryptome recieved widespread attention from the mainstream media for publishing information the New York Times had tried to censor. The interest was such that their server collapsed under the strain, and a DDOS attack was suspected.

Cryptome has contact details, including a PGP block, on it's front page. The URL is http://cryptome.org

1: Notices have been served under the DMCA by the MPAA to remove court documents containing the DeCSS source code, and by the Mormons, demanding the removal of a leaked article on dealing with homosexuality. These notices were complied with, but mirrors exist of this material.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.