A somewhat strange die, the d10 is an polyhedron whose sides are composed by identical but irregular quadralaterals; two sides of each face are short and connected by an obtuse angle while the other two sides are long and connected by an acute angle. Five of these acute angles converge at each point of the die, while the obtuse angles interlock in the middle.

In any event, a d10 is generally numbered from 0 to 9, making it the only kind of die that usually has the number 0 on it. When instructed to roll a d10, though, the 0 is treated as if it were a 10. This seems strange until one learns about rolling d100; in this case, one die is the tens place and the other the ones place, and rolling two zeros is considered to be the same as rolling 100.

While this die is used in the various forms of D&D and AD&D, among other RPGs, its real claim to fame is its exclusive use in White Wolf's World of Darkness games. If that setting appeals to you, invest in a bunch of these.

As the above write ups note, the d10 is not a platonic solid, which means that when it is spun, it can form two different types of spin.

The first type of spin, and the most likely, is on the jagged middle line, where the obtuse angles meet. If the die is spun on this line, it jiggles from one edge to another, and thus it has more friction and generally spins for a shorter time. When the die is spinning in this fashion, it appears blurry, as it is switching from one edge to another constantly.

a d10 can also be spun on its tip, this is a little bit more difficult to do, but the trick can be learned in probably ten minutes. Since the die is spinning on its tip, it experiences less friction and therefore stays spinning for a longer amount of time. Also, since its shape is not changing, but rotating around a symmetric point, the die almost looks like is standing still.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.