History:
In 1965, the P-70 prototype was shown by DeTomaso at the Turin Motorshow. This prototype was really just a styling demonstration for the car that would be unveiled the next year: the Mangusta.

The Mangusta was a mid-engine V8 powered by a five-liter Ford engine. (The version of the Mangusta sold to the European market only had a 4.7 liter engine). The most striking feature is its design. Giorgetto Giugiaro designed the streamlined, flowing shape of the body. The engine and rear storage are accessed via dual gull-wing doors, and the whole design appears to be quite ahead of its time.

Only 401 Mangustas were manufactured between 1967 and 1971. Much of the design was retained in Alejandro DeTomaso's next car, the Pantera.

This car was not in many prominent movies, but it did appear in Kill Bill: Volume 2 as Bill's car.

Specs:
Curb Weight:     3050 lbs
Layout:     Mid-Engine/RWD
Transmission:     5-Speed Manual
Engine Type:     Ford V8
Engine Displacement:     4949 cc
Horsepower:     230 bhp @ 4800 rpm
Torque:     310 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm
0-60 mph:     7.0 sec
0-100 mph:     19.1 sec
Quarter Mile:     15.1 sec
Top Speed:     155 mph

Note: This car is not to be confused with the Qvale Mangusta, which began production in 2000. The Qvale Mangusta, though it has the same name, bears little resemblance to DeTomaso's original car.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.