Earth: Final Conflict
Episode: 101
Season: 1
Airdate: 1997-10-06

Series premiere!

The Taelons say they have come in friendship to Earth. Da'an, the North American Taelon ambassador, is fired upon by Police Captain William Boone's old friend Eddie Jordan, but the bullet hits millionaire Jonathan Doors instead. Boone begins to realize that Eddie is working for an underground resistance movement against the Taelons, but as he is investigating further, his wife is killed when her car explodes.

Not knowing what else to do, Captain Boone accepts a job offer from the Taelons. He becomes Commander of Security and Interspecies Relations, and protector to Da'an. At the same time, he is recruited by Eddie Jordan, a criminal computer genius named Augur and a shuttle pilot named Lili Marquette to join the Resistance.

As with all human operatives working for the Taelons, Captain Boone must receive a CVI - a cyber-viral implant. The implant allows him to control a weapon that is imbedded in his arm called a Skrill, and increases his brainpower significantly. However, there is a downside to the CVI - it will warp his mind to be submissive to the Taelons. Dr. Julianne Belman, portrayed by Majel Barret of Star Trek fame, is a Resistance sympathizer, and modifies his CVI so that his priorities will not be altered.

Boone quickly grows to distrust FBI agent Ronald Sandoval, who is also introduced in this pilot episode. Jonathan Doors reveals that he faked his own death so that he could become leader of the Resistance. In the end, Boone's friend Eddie Jordan also turns up dead, leaving Boone to wonder whether the Resistance or the Taelons were responsible for the death of his wife and Eddie.

I was hooked from the beginning with this pilot. The cast worked, the Taelons looked cool, and the storyline was intriguing - and quite unique, as far as I could tell. What was the real reason for the Taelons' arrival on Earth? Could the Resistance be trusted? The viewers were left with as many questions as William Boone, and it took five years to thoroughly answer them.

Go to Season 1
Go to Earth: Final Conflict

De*ci"sion (?), n. [L. decisio, fr. decidere, decisum: cf. F. d'ecision. See Decide.]

1.

Cutting off; division; detachment of a part.

[Obs.]

Bp. Pearson.

2.

The act of deciding; act of settling or terminating, as a controversy, by giving judgment on the matter at issue; determination, as of a question or doubt; settlement; conclusion.

The decision of some dispute. Atterbury.

3.

An account or report of a conclusion, especially of a legal adjudication or judicial determination of a question or cause; as, a decision of arbitrators; a decision of the Supreme Court.

4.

The quality of being decided; prompt and fixed determination; unwavering firmness; as, to manifest great decision.

Syn. -- Decision, Determination, Resolution. Each of these words has two meanings, one implying the act of deciding, determining, or resolving; and the other a habit of mind as to doing. It is in the last sense that the words are here compared. Decision is a cutting short. It implies that several courses of action have been presented to the mind, and that the choice is now finally made. It supposes, therefore, a union of promptitude and energy. Determination is the natural consequence of decision. It is the settling of a thing with a fixed purpose to adhere. Resolution is the necessary result in a mind which is characterized by firmness. It is a spirit which scatters (resolves) all doubt, and is ready to face danger or suffering in carrying out one's determinations. Martin Luther was equally distinguished for his prompt decision, his steadfast determination, and his inflexible resolution.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.