Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size: 1 can
------------------------
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 0g
Total Fat: 0g
Sodium: 70mg
Total Carb: 0g
Protein: 0g
------------------------

diet Barq's (correct capitalization, per the can) is Barq's root beer addition to the ever-expanding line of diet sodas (which, in turn, is perhaps directly proportional the the ever-expanding waistlines of Americans). I purchased some when it was on sale, at the local Harris Teeter.

In a few words: It's pretty miserable, for two major (albeit subjective) reasons.

First of all, it is unbearably sweet. Root beer tends to be sweet anyway, but with the addition of aspartame (NutraSweet), it becomes jarringly so. Not even Diet Mountain Dew is this saccharine. Secondly, it is caffeine-free, yet is not explicitly labelled as such on the box. Now, this wouldn't normally be so bad, as most root beers don't contain caffeine anyway. However, coming from a brand of root beer whose motto is "The One with Bite", due in part to the caffeine content of its regular product, this is a serious disappointment to the consumer who doesn't know it, until opening a can and spying the small "No caffeine - Low sodium" text below the lip of the can. In my opinion, this is, at very least, somewhat misleading.

In other words, if you want a decent diet soda, my advice to you is to stick with something else. I hardly feel this stuff is fit for consumption.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.