Ding is a Mandarin Chinese surname meaning the fourth of seven levels of heaven, with the seventh level being the highest in Islamic and cabalist doctrine.

See: The Fourth Heaven

Afrikaans word meaning "thing". Plural form : "Dinge". The grammatically incorrect version, "Dinges", is used as a polite way to refer to faeces, therefore also meaning "nonsense", like in the usage of "shit" in "You're talking shit".

Dilbert = D = dink

ding n.,vi.

1. Synonym for feep. Usage: rare among hackers, but more common in the Real World. 2. `dinged': What happens when someone in authority gives you a minor bitching about something, esp. something trivial. "I was dinged for having a messy desk."

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

"Ding" is an exclamation used by players of MMORPGs to indicate that their character has just leveled. As with most MMORPG terms and conventions, "ding" originated in the game EverQuest because of the ding-like sound that accompanies a character's advancing in level. Still used in games like World of WarCraft, despite the fact that leveling in WoW does not cause a "ding" sound to play.

Or ting.

One of the best-known artworks of the Shang Dynasty, it has its own hexagram in the I Ching.

Our own Yale Art Gallery owns one such, it's about fourteen inches long, eight wide, is four inches deep, is made of bronze, and has four legs.

Very much like the South African potjie, it was used for cooking stewed pork. This is what intrigues me.

I want one.

I'll settle for a replica. I don't care about the intricate inscriptions that characterize a real one. Heck, I'll even take one that's been tinned like a copper pot, and sold as a planter. Ideally, it would have stone handles, made of jade, so I could pick it up without potholders. (According to the I Ching, this is the "must have" of all high-end dings. Gold handles, called "ears", are actually a liability, they may make the vessel more valuable, but make it less useful.) I already know which recipes I'll use, they're ancient.

I'll heat this pot over a small fire. I'll put in the pork shoulder, the water, the soy sauce, and several spices.

I'll wait for some time.

Then I'll pick it up and say "Gimme dat Ding!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs6gnsAtjXw&ab_channel=TheOldrecordclub

Ding (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dinged (?), Dang (Obs.), or Dung (Obs.); p. pr. & vb. n. Dinging.] [OE. dingen, dengen; akin to AS. dencgan to knock, Icel. dengja to beat, hammer, Sw. danga, G. dengeln.]

1.

To dash; to throw violently.

[Obs.]

To ding the book a coit's distance from him. Milton.

2.

To cause to sound or ring.

To ding (anything) in one's ears, to impress one by noisy repetition, as if by hammering.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ding, v. i.

1.

To strike; to thump; to pound.

[Obs.]

Diken, or delven, or dingen upon sheaves. Piers Plowman.

2.

To sound, as a bell; to ring; to clang.

The fretful tinkling of the convent bell evermore dinging among the mountain echoes. W. Irving.

3.

To talk with vehemence, importunity, or reiteration; to bluster.

[Low]

 

© Webster 1913.


Ding, n.

A thump or stroke, especially of a bell.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.