Film Term:

A transition between two shots, where one shot fades away and simultaneously another shot fades in. Dissolves are done at the lab in the printing phase, but prepared by the negative cutter, who cuts in an overlap of the two shots into the A&B rolls. Labs will only do dissolves in fixed amounts, such as 24 frames, 48 frames, etc.

Glossary of Film Terms - http://homepage.newschool.edu/~schlemoj/film_courses/glossary_of_film_terms/
reprinted with permission

Dis*solve" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dissolved (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Dissolving.] [L. dissolvere, dissolutum; dis- + solvere to loose, free. See Solve, and cf. Dissolute.]

1.

To separate into competent parts; to disorganize; to break up; hence, to bring to an end by separating the parts, sundering a relation, etc.; to terminate; to destroy; to deprive of force; as, to dissolve a partnership; to dissolve Parliament.

Lest his ungoverned rage dissolve the life. Shak.

2.

To break the continuity of; to disconnect; to disunite; to sunder; to loosen; to undo; to separate.

Nothing can dissolve us. Shak.

Down fell the duke, his joints dissolved asunder. Fairfax.

For one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another. The Declaration of Independence.

3.

To convert into a liquid by means of heat, moisture, etc.,; to melt; to liquefy; to soften.

As if the world were all dissolved to tears. Shak.

4.

To solve; to clear up; to resolve.

"Dissolved the mystery."

Tennyson.

Make interpretations and dissolve doubts. Dan. v. 16.

5.

To relax by pleasure; to make powerless.

Angels dissolved in hallelujahs lie. Dryden.

6. Law

To annul; to rescind; to discharge or release; as, to dissolve an injunction.

Syn. -- See Adjourn.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*solve", v. i.

1.

To waste away; to be dissipated; to be decomposed or broken up.

2.

To become fluid; to be melted; to be liquefied.

A figure Trenched in ice, which with an hour's heat Dissolves to water, and doth lose his form. Shak.

3.

To fade away; to fall to nothing; to lose power.

The charm dissolves apace. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.