To move downwards, rapidly. Most usually to dive in the sea and go beneath the water using some breathing apparatus such as scuba equipment, as in scuba diving. Also used to describe submarines and aeroplanes decending. Also meaning to jump into the water head first.

To place one's hand in a victim's pocket. "Put his back up (jostle him into position), Sam, and I'll dive."

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
A downtrodden area, neighbourhood or establisment.

The kind of place you wouldn't want to pass through at nights, let alone live in.

Synonym for dump.

Album by Sarah Brightman.

Song listing:

1. Dive

2. Captain Nemo

3. The Second Element

4. Ship of Fools

5. Once in a Lifetime

6. Cape Horn

7. A Salty Dog

8. Siren

9. Seven Seas

10. Johnny Wanna Live

11. By Now

12. Island

13. When It Rains in America

14. La Mer

15. The Second Element II

Produced in 1993 by Frank Peterson with Sarah Brightman (A&M Records)

Review by Leopardeye:

This is Sarah Brightman's first solo album without Andrew Lloyd Webber. The emphasis on Dive concentrates mainly on songs regarding the sea. The cover even depicts her as a mermaid (with fabulous hair, I might add). To what most Americans are used to, some of the musical variations may leave something to be desired, however there are a few gems such as Dive, Captain Nemo, and The Second Element.

Personally, if you are an avid novice of Sarah Brightman's, then this is a must, and probably an already, have.

Dive (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Dived (?), colloq. Dove (), a relic of the AS. strong forms de�xa0;f, dofen; p. pr. & vb. n. Diving.] [OE. diven, duven, AS. dfan to sink, v. t., fr. dfan, v. i.; akin to Icel. dfa, G. taufen, E. dip, deep, and perh. to dove, n. Cf. Dip.]

1.

To plunge into water head foremost; to thrust the body under, or deeply into, water or other fluid.

It is not that pearls fetch a high price because men have dived for them. Whately.

⇒ The colloquial form dove is common in the United States as an imperfect tense form.

All [the walruses] dove down with a tremendous splash. Dr. Hayes.

When closely pressed it [the loon] dove . . . and left the young bird sitting in the water. J. Burroughs.

2.

Fig.: To plunge or to go deeply into any subject, question, business, etc.; to penetrate; to explore.

South.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dive (?), v. t.

1.

To plunge (a person or thing) into water; to dip; to duck.

[Obs.]

Hooker.

2.

To explore by diving; to plunge into.

[R.]

The Curtii bravely dived the gulf of fame. Denham.

He dives the hollow, climbs the steeps. Emerson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dive, n.

1.

A plunge headforemost into water, the act of one who dives, literally or figuratively.

2.

A place of low resort.

[Slang]

The music halls and dives in the lower part of the city. J. Hawthorne.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.