Department of Transportation. Maintains and build roads. Usually produces free maps.

In music notation, a dot immediately to the right of the note-head of a certain note indicates that its duration is one and a half times that of the undotted note. For instance, a dotted quarter note lasts one and one-half beats instead of one; a dotted half note lasts three beats instead of two.

A note may also be followed by two dots side-by-side, which indicates its duration is one and three-quarter times that of the undotted note. A double-dotted half note would then last three and one-half beats.

Short for Damage Over Time. A spell in EverQuest that does a set amount of damage over a period of usually a minute or so. Very useful in long fights or for Kiting.

Also another way of saying '.' (period), especially when talking about IPs, URLs, filenames, or other computer related things.
Dutch Open Telescope. It is located on the island of La Palma at an altitude of about 2.5 km and used for looking at the sun. The telescope is called open because of it's unusual construction.

The earth's atmosphere causes a lot of distortion in ground based telescopes. Hot and cold air have a slightly different index of refraction. Light travelling through hot air bubbles is distorted and the telescope's image becomes less clear. During day time, when the sun is out, this problem is even worse. The DOT is constructed in such a way as to reduce distortion from hot air. It also has some devices which correct for remaining distortions.

The mother of all hosts on the internet, the highest domain name, the beginning of all the other lower host names. Little is known that the dot precedes .com, .net, .org or .mil and so on and so forth, all of the .edu and .org connect to the dot, as in ".com." or ".mil.".

To make my point more clear, you can type: "http://everything2.com." and get away with it. Legend has it that web browsers magically insert a dot for you at the end of every url.

Dot (?), n. [F., fr. L. dos, dotis, dowry. See Dower, and cf. Dote dowry.] Law

A marriage portion; dowry.

[Louisiana]

 

© Webster 1913.


Dot, n. [Cf. AS. dott small spot, speck; of uncertain origin.]

1.

A small point or spot, made with a pen or other pointed instrument; a speck, or small mark.

2.

Anything small and like a speck comparatively; a small portion or specimen; as, a dot of a child.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dot, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dotted; p. pr. & vb. n. Dotting.]

1.

To mark with dots or small spots; as, to dot a line.

2.

To mark or diversify with small detached objects; as, a landscape dotted with cottages.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dot, v. i.

To make dots or specks.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.