In baseball, two games played on the same day, usually between the same two teams. A doubleheader is most true fans' dream -- two games for the price of one. Players, of course, don't like them much -- it roughly doubles the length of their work day. In major league baseball, both games are the standard nine-inning (or more) length; in the minors, each game is seven innings long.

Some common variants of the DH are:

  • twi-night doubleheader - the games are played successively, but the first one starts in late afternoon ("twilight" plus "night").
  • day-night doubleheader - the first game is played in early afternoon, the second one is started at a normal night game start time. If worked right, this can allow the owners to charge admission twice in the same day; players detest these, though, so they don't happen very often.

The two-stadium doubleheader made its first appearance since 1903 on 8 July 2000, when the New York Mets and New York Yankees made up an earlier rain out by playing a day-nighter with the first game at Shea Stadium, then riding buses across town to Yankee Stadium for the nightcap.

The two-team doubleheader is another oddball that occurs, if at all, late in the season when rain outs must be made up; it is played as a day-nighter, with the opposition for the day game packing up and leaving after their game, clearing the way for the night's opponent.

The term originally came from the railroad industry. It designates a train with two locomotives.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.