1. An arrest. 2. Cache, usually temporary, for stolen goods or the concealment of fugitives.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
Drop is a type of Dutch candy. It's a black substance that is sometimes hard, sometimes soft; sometimes sweet, sometimes salty, and comes in various forms and shapes. It is a form of licorice.

Non-Dutch people often do not appreciate the taste of drop at first, especially the salty types. But once you're hooked to it, it's a nice way to pump up the blood pressure.

Some popular types of drop are:

  • Katjes (cats): this is drop in the shape of cats. A hard, sweet type of drop. Great for beginners!
  • Honingdrop (honey-drop): this is also a great drop for starters, since it has a nice sweet taste. There are two popular types of honingdrop; one in the shape of bee hives (a hard type), and one in the shape of a round honeycomb (a chewy type)
  • Dubbelzoute (doublesalt): This is a mean little black round disk with the inscription "DZ". This one will get your heart pumping...
  • Munten (coins): yep, they look like coins.
If you want to give this stuff a try some day, you should order a bag of "gemengde drop" (mixed drop).

In Starcraft, the word drop has two meanings- one is where you boot a player from a multiplayer game after they've lagged out for the requisite forty-five seconds, and is usually the result of someone getting disconnected from their ISP or from Battle.net. This usually concludes in a notch on the disconnect side on the lagger's record, and the game progresses on.

The other definition refers to the use of shuttle, dropships, or overlords to ferry units directly into your opponent's base. While this method allows you to directly bypass any defenses that your opponent may have stationed near the front of his base, it also has the drawback of making the units carried in the transport extremely vulnerable- destroy the shuttle, and all the units it carries die along with it. If your opponent suspects a small drop, he is more than likely going to be able to hold it off with static defenses and units stationed within his base. If you are able to catch him unaware, though, the payoff can be sw33t.

The most commonly-used units in the smaller drops are Reavers and Lurkers, as their splash damage dominates peon lines like no tomorrow. However, it is not uncommon to find Vultures, Zerglings, or Templar of either variety there, as they have the capacity to deal powerful damage as well to workers. Larger drops- consisting of five or more overlords or dropships- usually bear a cargo of marines, medics, siege tanks, and SCVs when fielded by a Terran player, or of Hydralisks and Zerglings if used by a Zerg player.

As to defending against a drop, the best way to stop it is to know about it. Recon, recon, recon- if you aren't doing it already, then you ought to start. If you see a number of Overlords or Dropships clustered about in one corner of an enemy's base, then fortify your defenses in your own- or, alternately, attack him elsewhere while he's organizing the attack.

Debut of, or release date for, a pop song or record album. Slang. Less common synonym: break Examples:
"Soul Train: When does the album drop?
Ryan: Actually, now, we don't have a set date...
What's the next single, and when does it drop?" -- Soul Train, interview with Ryan Toby of City High, taped 4/8/01, http://www.soultrain.com/st/cityhigh.html.
"...Eminem's third album was pushed from its original drop date and formally released Sunday..." -- MTV News, 05/29/2002, http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1454573/20020529/eminem.jhtml?headlines=true.
Does not refer to a drop in the song or album's popularity or chart position, in fact, the album "drop" often coincides with its highest popularity.

Drop is the difference between the length of a baseball (or softball) bat, in inches, and the weight of a bat, in ounces. For example, a 32-inch bat that weighs 23 ounces would be referred to as a "Drop 9" or "Minus 9 drop". Since momentum equals mass times velocity, the decrease in mass is generally offset by the faster bat speed afforded by a lighter bat, and thus a batted ball will travel just as far. A quicker bat allows a hitter to swing later than normal, giving them more time to determine whether a pitch is a ball or a strike. For this reason, bats with a higher drop are generally more expensive, and leagues have established rules regarding the maximum allowable drop (e.g. most high school leagues restrict bats to Minus 3).

Drop (?), n. [OE. drope, AS. dropa; akin to OS. dropo, D. drop, OHG. tropo, G. tropfen, Icel. dropi, Sw. droppe; and Fr. AS. dreopan to drip, drop; akin to OS. driopan, D. druipen, OHG. triofan, G. triefen, Icel. drjpa. Cf. Drip, Droop.]

1.

The quantity of fluid which falls in one small spherical mass; a liquid globule; a minim; hence, also, the smallest easily measured portion of a fluid; a small quantity; as, a drop of water.

With minute drops from off the eaves. Milton.

As dear to me as are the ruddy drops That visit my sad heart. Shak.

That drop of peace divine. Keble.

2.

That which resembles, or that which hangs like, a liquid drop; as a hanging diamond ornament, an earring, a glass pendant on a chandelier, a sugarplum (sometimes medicated), or a kind of shot or slug.

3. Arch. (a)

Same as Gutta.

(b)

Any small pendent ornament.

4.

Whatever is arranged to drop, hang, or fall from an elevated position; also, a contrivance for lowering something

; as: (a)

A door or platform opening downward; a trap door; that part of the gallows on which a culprit stands when he is to be hanged; hence, the gallows itself

. (b)

A machine for lowering heavy weights, as packages, coal wagons, etc., to a ship's deck

. (c)

A contrivance for temporarily lowering a gas jet

. (d)

A curtain which drops or falls in front of the stage of a theater, etc.

(e)

A drop press or drop hammer

. (f) Mach.

The distance of the axis of a shaft below the base of a hanger.

5. pl.

Any medicine the dose of which is measured by drops; as, lavender drops.

6. Naut.

The depth of a square sail; -- generally applied to the courses only.

Ham. Nav. Encyc.

7.

Act of dropping; sudden fall or descent.

Ague drop, Black drop. See under Ague, Black. -- Drop by drop, in small successive quantities; in repeated portions. "Made to taste drop by drop more than the bitterness of death." Burke. -- Drop curtain. See Drop, n.,

4. (d). -- Drop forging. Mech. (a) A forging made in dies by a drop hammer. (b) The process of making drop forgings. -- Drop hammer Mech., a hammer for forging, striking up metal, etc., the weight being raised by a strap or similar device, and then released to drop on the metal resting on an anvil or die. -- Drop kick Football, a kick given to the ball as it rebounds after having been dropped from the hands. -- Drop lake, a pigment obtained from Brazil wood. Mollett. -- Drop letter, a letter to be delivered from the same office where posted. -- Drop press Mech., a drop hammer; sometimes, a dead-stroke hammer; -- also called drop. -- Drop scene, a drop curtain on which a scene is painted. See Drop, n., 4. (d). -- Drop seed. Bot. See the List under Glass. -- Drop serene. Med. See Amaurosis.

 

© Webster 1913.


Drop (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dropped (?) or Dropt; p. pr. & vb. n. Dropping.] [OE. droppen, AS. dropan, v. i. See Drop, n.]

1.

To pour or let fall in drops; to pour in small globules; to distill.

"The trees drop balsam."

Creech.

The recording angel, as he wrote it down, dropped a tear upon the word and blotted it out forever. Sterne.

2.

To cause to fall in one portion, or by one motion, like a drop; to let fall; as, to drop a line in fishing; to drop a courtesy.

3.

To let go; to dismiss; to set aside; to have done with; to discontinue; to forsake; to give up; to omit.

They suddenly drop't the pursuit. S. Sharp.

That astonishing ease with which fine ladies drop you and pick you up again. Thackeray.

The connection had been dropped many years. Sir W. Scott.

Dropping the too rough H in Hell and Heaven. Tennyson.

4.

To bestow or communicate by a suggestion; to let fall in an indirect, cautious, or gentle manner; as, to drop hint, a word of counsel, etc.

5.

To lower, as a curtain, or the muzzle of a gun, etc.

6.

To send, as a letter; as, please drop me a line, a letter, word.

7.

To give birth to; as, to drop a lamb.

8.

To cover with drops; to variegate; to bedrop.

Show to the sun their waved coats dropped with gold. Milton.

To drop a vessel Naut., to leave it astern in a race or a chase; to outsail it.

 

© Webster 1913.


Drop, v. i.

1.

To fall in drops.

The kindly dew drops from the higher tree, And wets the little plants that lowly dwell. Spenser.

2.

To fall, in general, literally or figuratively; as, ripe fruit drops from a tree; wise words drop from the lips.

Mutilations of which the meaning has dropped out of memory. H. Spencer.

When the sound of dropping nuts is heard. Bryant.

3.

To let drops fall; to discharge itself in drops.

The heavens . . . dropped at the presence of God. Ps. lxviii. 8.

4.

To fall dead, or to fall in death.

Nothing, says Seneca, so soon reconciles us to the thoughts of our own death, as the prospect of one friend after another dropping round us. Digby.

5.

To come to an end; to cease; to pass out of mind; as, the affair dropped.

Pope.

6.

To come unexpectedly; -- with in or into; as, my old friend dropped in a moment.

Steele.

Takes care to drop in when he thinks you are just seated. Spectator.

7.

To fall or be depressed; to lower; as, the point of the spear dropped a little.

8.

To fall short of a mark.

[R.]

Often it drops or overshoots by the disproportion of distance. Collier.

9.

To be deep in extent; to descend perpendicularly; as, her main topsail drops seventeen yards.

To drop astern Naut., to go astern of another vessel; to be left behind; to slacken the speed of a vessel so as to fall behind and to let another pass a head. -- To drop down Naut., to sail, row, or move down a river, or toward the sea. -- To drop off, to fall asleep gently; also, to die. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.