Earthquake

Equal parts of; Amaretto, Southern Comfort & Sambuca

Layer in exact order into a Pony or Shot glass

Back to the Everything Bartender

The most famous professional wrestling persona used by John Tenta. His other, less well-known personas include Golga and Shark.

Earthquake was a bald-but-long-hair-side-and-back, waaaay obese wrestler.

His signature move was the Earthquake, where the semi-conscious opponent is lying in the middle of the ring, while Earthquake hops around him a few times, and then sits on him. That's gotta hurt.

John Tenta got his start in Japan with the AJPW (All Japan Pro Wrestling), trained by Giant Baba. Interestingly, he did some sumo wrestling, and has an undefeated record of 24-0. He was also a 5 (or 6) time Canadian Amateur Champion, and 1983 Junior World Champion in amateur wrestling.

He's currently not wrestling much, due to some back problems. He's opened a wrestling school in Florida. You can reach him at bigtenta@bellsouth.net or 407-688-4742.

Earthquake


Causes

Compressional and tensional stress in rock. When the rock reaches its elastic limit, it snaps!, releasing energy in the form of vibration.


Types

  • Primary - The initial vibration. Usually one big jar.
  • Secondary - This wave does the real damage. It is the side-to-side shaking that no building can fully withstand.


    Richter Scale

    This scale measures intensity of earthquake waves. Utilizes a seismograph.


    Modern technology still has no way of predicting earthquakes, but they can prevent damage done to buildings and cities using new building techniques.

    This gives more drunken teens a good reason to get their parents to let them go on summer vacation in California.

  • Modern explosives technology has allowed tensions to be relieved on a regular basis. This is how it works:

    1. Explosives are set up along the faultline at regular spatial intervals.
    2. At regularly timed intervals, the explosives are set off.
    3. Movement along the faultline becomes regular and smooth, instead of sudden and destructive.

    After a natural earthquake's aftershocks have died down is an ideal time to begin this process, because there is little threat of causing larger earthquakes.

    On the other hand, even without natural earthquakes, we can build up to smooth techtonic movements by ever increasing the power and frequency of intentional explosions. The rest of this node is left as an exercise to you, gentle reader.

    You sitting at a stoplight, waiting patiently for the light to turn when you feel it: your car begins to tremble. It begins as almost a subliminal sensation, but it begins to grow. Suddenly, you feel your auto buffetted by wave upon wave of vibration. You look around and realize that what you are feeling is the result of the car behind you whose driver has the windows rolled down and the stereo cranked to its highest volume, putting its woofers and sub-woofers to a stress test far beyond the factory specifications. Unpleasant as this little episode is, imagine if someone asked you to pay four dollars to experience this off and on for two hours. That is what people did in the summer of 1974.

    It was called Sensurround and was the latest of the sensory experience to come out of Hollywood. This new technology was tied to the latest in summer disaster movies in the early to mid-70's, Earthquake. The movie starred Charlton Heston, Ava Gardner, Genevieve Bujold Walter Matthau, and the obligatory appearance by George Kennedy and featured a sound system that would make the theater shake from the sound being sent through the woofers and sub-woofers. This new technology won Ronald Pierce and Melvin Metcalfe, Sr. the Academy Award for sound that year.

    The EarthQuake

    This is a popular drink at the restaurant Blueberry Twist, an entertaining place on the verge of Southside, where I once worked.

    You will need:

    Blend the ingredients well. No lumps please. Be mindful of brain freeze. Prepare for the caffeine sugar rush.

    Here are some common misconceptions/myths and other assorted tidbits regarding earthquakes….

    Can We Predict ‘Em?

    According to our good friends at the United States Geological Survey and Caltech, the answer is no. They would rather focus on the “probability” of an earthquake occurring rather than focusing on an actual prediction. The USGS has focused it efforts in lowering earthquake damages by focusing their efforts in the field of structural engineering rather than in trying to predict when a quake will occur.

    How About Animals?

    We’ve probably all heard about some “strange behavior” that animals seem to experience right before an earthquake is about to occur. As a matter fact, during an earthquake that occurred in northern California in 1989, a fish in a high school biology lab was recorded flipping over on its side before some earthquakes.

    One school of thought has it that most domesticated animals such as dogs, cat’s and horses are able to “predict” upcoming quakes and experience odd behavioral traits.

    More research into this phenomenon is being conducted but up to date, both Caltech and the USGS admit that there are too many variables that might affect the behavior of our furry friends to attribute any odd behavior to earthquakes.

    A Lot of Little Ones or One Big One?

    Earthquake guru’s such as seismologist have determined that for every earthquake that registers a magnitude of 6 on the Richter Scale, there are about 10 that hit magnitude 5, 100 that hit magnitude 4, 1000 that hit magnitude 3 and so on and so on as you go down the line. They have also calculated that it takes about 32 magnitude 5’s to equal one magnitude 6, 1000 magnitude 4’ and 32000 magnitude 3’s also equate to one magnitude 6. That being said, even though we record all of the lower magnitude earthquakes, it’s the big ones that make you sit up and take notice.

    Just Add Water?

    Based upon those numbers, there is a school of thought that seems to think that if you could trigger a bunch of “smaller” earthquakes, you might be able to forestall the so called “big one”. In order to “trigger” these smaller quakes, earthquake fault lines are injected with water (or any other high pressure fluid) and smaller quakes are generated and the pressure that develops is released.

    Remember the commercial that had the saying “It’s not nice to fool with Mother Nature?. Many people in the field of earthquake research look at this approach with skepticism since one really has no control of the magnitude of the quake one is trying to induce.

    Are you the strong, sensitive type?

    Some people claim that they are able to “sense” that an earthquake is in the offing by developing certain symptoms that occur just before an earthquake hits. To date, these is no scientific evidence that suggests this is possible but research is still being conducted.

    Go ahead, blame it on the weather

    You have to go all the way back 4th century when Aristotle, (who was right about many thing but probably not this) was of the opinion that earthquakes were causes by winds that were trapped in subterranean caves. Your smaller quakes were thought to have been the result of air pushing on the cavern roofs and your larger variety earthquakes were caused by the air actually breaking the surface. Hence, the theory of “earthquake weather was born. It also led to the theory that earthquakes could be caused by strong winds, fireballs and meteors.

    This theory has been basically debunked by modern science. Any changes in air pressure usually occur on the surface of the earth and since earthquakes usually start miles underground, no meteorological forces are at play.

    Anybody got the time?

    It doesn’t matter. Earthquakes are equally as likely to occur at any time of the day or night throughout the year.

    Is it in the stars?

    It’s a pretty well known fact that the moon, the sun and other planets have an influence on the earth when it comes to gravity and such things as tides but up to date, there have been no correlations that that can be attributed to those heavenly bodies and earthquakes.

    dynner = E = Easter egg

    earthquake n.

    [IBM] The ultimate real-world shock test for computer hardware. Hackish sources at IBM deny the rumor that the Bay Area quake of 1989 was initiated by the company to test quality-assurance procedures at its California plants.

    --The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, this entry manually entered by rootbeer277.

    Earth"quake` (?), n.

    A shaking, trembling, or concussion of the earth, due to subterranean causes, often accompanied by a rumbling noise. The wave of shock sometimes traverses half a hemisphere, destroying cities and many thousand lives; -- called also earthdin, earthquave, and earthshock.

    <-- also temblor, tremor -->

    Earthquake alarm, a bell signal constructed to operate on the theory that a few seconds before the occurrence of an earthquake the magnet temporarily loses its power.

     

    © Webster 1913.


    Earth"quake`, a.

    Like, or characteristic of, an earthquake; loud; starling.

    The earthquake voice of victory. Byron.

     

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.