A place in a river similar to a whirlpool where the water flows upstream. This effect is caused by a turn or projection on the bank of the river or a rock midstream. The eddy is created behind the rock, bend or projection.

Eddies frequently occur beside surf waves, vees, and waterfalls. In fact, rivers are generally littered with them except when in flood. Eddies are good places to rest while deciding what to do next. Sometimes, the eddy is where you have to line up to play in the whitewater.

Ed"dy (?), n.; pl. Eddies (#). [Prob. fr. Icel. ia; cf. Icel. pref. i- back, AS. ed-, OS. idug-, OHG. ita-; Goth. id-.]

1.

A current of air or water running back, or in a direction contrary to the main current.

2.

A current of water or air moving in a circular direction; a whirlpool.

And smiling eddies dimpled on the main. Dryden.

Wheel through the air, in circling eddies play. Addison.

Used also adjectively; as, eddy winds.

Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ed"dy, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Eddied (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Eddying.]

To move as an eddy, or as in an eddy; to move in a circle.

Eddying round and round they sink. Wordsworth.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ed"dy, v. t.

To collect as into an eddy.

[R.]

The circling mountains eddy in From the bare wild the dissipated storm. Thomson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.