Emulsion transfer is a process in which one separates the transparent emulsion layer of a Polaroid picture onto another surface. I found it a rather innovative way to use Polaroid photos beyond their everyday on-the-fridge existence. All you will need is: Polaroid pictures, a thermometer, one tray of 160-degree water, another tray of cool water, contact paper (or something similar), watercolor paper(works easiest), roller, tongs, & a timer.

First: The film needs to be completely processed. Let it dry for 10 hours or speed up this step by using a hairdryer.

Second: Cover the back of the picture with contact paper or something similar otherwise the back of the print can dissolve in the hot water.

Third: Submerge the image facing up in the 160 degrees water for 4 minutes.

Fourth: Lift the image with tongs and sink into the cool water. It should become loose at the edges. Carefully work the emulsion free using your thumbs, move away from the edges and toward the center. The image will then float free in the cool water. Throw the paper back away.

Finally: Put the watercolor paper into the cool water under the emulsion. Square the pictures on the paper hold down the top corners of the emulsion to the paper with the thumbs and lift from the water. Expect the image to be somewhat deformed. This is fixed by laying the paper on a flat surface and using your fingers to move the image to the way you want. Gently roll it out from the center of the picture to work out air bubbles. Hang to dry (not touching the emulsion). Cover with protective spray if you find it necessary.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.