"Entheogen" does not literally mean "something that brings about a god within," it's more along the lines of "something that places you within god." From Greek en-theos, within god. A subtle but important difference, even if that interpretation does make the description less profound. It also does not (by its originally translated meaning at least) necessarily have anything to do with psychedelic drugs.

As I interpret it, an entheogen is anything that makes you feel as though you understand reality in the way a god might. Thus, many things are entheogens: learning, creating, art, sex, music, love, hate, science, drugs, reading, religion, dreaming, dancing, touching, power, and so forth.

Enthegen

En = Within, Inner

Theo = Divine, God

Gen = Becoming, Creating

Is a term that has come to enhance/replace the term 'psychedelic' or 'hallucinogen' in in respect to those substances that people use to alter their consciousness. It is generally applied to situations where the use of said substance isn't for wholly recreational purposes, e.g. when a Shaman divines with the help of Peyote cacti, Amanita muscaria mushrooms, or the Salvia mint.
Entheogen is a word created to be a replacement to the words psychedelic and hallucinogen by the classical studies professor Carl A. P. Ruck of Boston University. From the man himself, entheogen means "god generated within," and is used to describe any substance that alters perception of reality in such a way that is often perceived as a mystic or religious experience.

Examples of entheogens include:
-amanita muscaria, a mushroom that is hypothosized to be the SOMA of the ancient Hindu religion, and used in cultures all over the world as a way to connect to the gods.
-Ergot and its derivatives, most famously the basis for Albert Hoffman's LSD, but also known to the ancient Greeks as the Mystery of Eleusis.
-Salvia Divinorum, a member of the mint family, used by the Mazatec indians.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.