Er*rat"ic (?), a. [L. erraticus, fr. errare to wander: cf. F. erratique. See Err.]

1.

Having no certain course; roving about without a fixed destination; wandering; moving; -- hence, applied to the planets as distinguished from the fixed stars.

The earth and each erratic world. Blackmore.

2.

Deviating from a wise of the common course in opinion or conduct; eccentric; strange; queer; as, erratic conduct.

3.

Irregular; changeable.

"Erratic fever."

Harvey.

Erratic blocks, gravel, etc. Geol., masses of stone which have been transported from their original resting places by the agency of water, ice, or other causes. -- Erratic phenomena, the phenomena which relate to transported materials on the earth's surface.

 

© Webster 1913.


Er*rat"ic, n.

1.

One who deviates from common and accepted opinions; one who is eccentric or preserve in his intellectual character.

2.

A rogue.

[Obs.]

Cockeram.

3. Geol.

Any stone or material that has been borne away from its original site by natural agencies; esp., a large block or fragment of rock; a bowlder.

⇒ In the plural the term is applied especially to the loose gravel and stones on the earth's surface, including what is called drift.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.