Their coffee beans are roasted at their Roasteria location on Denny Road, just off Broadway in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood. Their location on Broadway proper is just a coffee cart, which also serves great espresso drinks, but is hardly as awe-inspiring as the cafe at the Roasteria.

Famous not just for their insanely great espresso, the baristas there also take the time to pour a swirly rosetta pattern of milk foam in every cafe latte. Even the caffeine-addicted zombies who stumble in for their morning latte fix have been seen taking a moment to admire the barista's handiwork before drinking away their withdrawl headaches.

The purist who runs the joint is David Schomer, a veritable fanatic about the art of espresso, who writes and speaks extensively about the best ways to consistently make "una bella tazza di caffe". For anyone who gives a damn about pulling the perfect shot, his book, Espresso Coffee: Professional Techniques, is a must read.

I used to enjoy Espresso Vivace beans at home only sporadically back when I bothered to make the three hour drive to Seattle, but now that I've gotten a few friends to go in with me, we've been able to scrape up a weekly order for their two-pound shipping minimum. The orders typically arrive at my office in Portland within a day of being roasted. My officemates are so jealous, even though most of them would never bother to make their own espresso at home.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.