The German sharp-ess letter "ß", that looks like an uppercase "B" written in script, but is pronounced like "ss" or "sz". Also written as ess-tset.

The Germanic sharp s (Scharfes s) or Eszet (literally S-Z) is a letter of the alphabet used only in Germany and Austria. Though ß is similar in appearance to an uppercase B and lowercase β, the letter is lowercase and has no uppercase form. Because it is never used at the beginning of a word, there is no real necessity.

The letter makes a similar sound to a double-s in German, though it sounds more like an sz combination in English phonetics. In fact, some of the rules for spelling have recently changed in Germany regarding the sharp s and more words are using a double-s instead of a ß. There are several rules and quite a few exceptions to those rules for how to spell a sharp s sound, which have prompted this change, because it causes confusion among people learning to write in German.

Spelling in Germany is referred to as orthodoxy. It is very strict and enforced by the government, that is, they set the standards. The spelling rules were originally established by the Staatlichen Orthographie-Konferenz (National Orthographic Conference) in 1901 and had an expiration date of August 1, 1998. In the few years prior to this expiration, Rechtschreibreform (spelling reform) caused quite a fuss in Germany. A judgment by the Bundesverfassungsgericht (German Supreme Court) had to be made to enforce the new rules.

Under the old rules (which are still applicable until July, 31 2005), one uses a ß over ss when the sharp s sound is at the end of a word, before a hard t, or after a long vowel or diphthong sound. For example, Wasser (short vowel), außen (long vowel), heißen (long diphthong), Fluß (end of the word), mußt (before a t). As always, there are exceptions. Also, German uses a lot of compound words. If a prefix word has a sharp s at the end, it used a ß. For example, Großschreiben is a compound word of groß and schreiben.

Under the new rules (effective August 1, 1998), one does not uses ß at the end of a word or before a t, only after a long vowel or diphthong sound. For example, musst (before a t), Flussschiffahrt (end of the word).


http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa092898.htm
http://www.imc.org/idn/mail-archive/msg06860.html
http://www.wordwizard.com/clubhouse/founddiscuss.asp?Num=1008

ß

An esset is a German Language character that is commonly used as a double 'S' pair ('ss'), though in a pinch any german speaker will recognise 'ss' to be 'ß'. Although is resembles a capital 'B' to speakers of many other languages, pronuncing it as a 'b' will just sound silly.

Examples of words using an 'esset' are:

North-america keyboards are not usually set up to handle these special characters, but thay can be done. Under Windows with the US Internation Layout you can (usually) do it by holding down the ALT key and typing '0223' on the numeric keypad. Many linux users can also do it by hitting 'Shift+Meta', then the accent operator to be used and then the letter to apply it to; so to produce an esset I would hit shift+meta, then 's' follwed by 's' again to produce "ß".

Note: It has come to my attention that this is not the only name for the character "ß"; it appears that it is also sometimes spelled "eszet", though from my experience, "Esset"/"Eßet" is the most common.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.