Ex*act" (?), a. [L. exactus precise, accurate, p. p. of exigere to drive out, to demand, enforce, finish, determine, measure; ex out + agere to drive; cf. F. exact. See Agent, Act.]

1.

Precisely agreeing with a standard, a fact, or the truth; perfectly conforming; neither exceeding nor falling short in any respect; true; correct; precise; as, the clock keeps exact time; he paid the exact debt; an exact copy of a letter; exact accounts.

I took a great pains to make out the exact truth. Jowett (Thucyd. )

2.

Habitually careful to agree with a standard, a rule, or a promise; accurate; methodical; punctual; as, a man exact in observing an appointment; in my doings I was exact.

"I see thou art exact of taste."

Milton.

3.

Precisely or definitely conceived or stated; strict.

An exact command, Larded with many several sorts of reason. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ex*act", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Exacted; p. pr. & vb. n. Exacting.] [From L. exactus, p. p. of exigere; or fr. LL. exactare: cf. OF. exacter. See Exact, a.]

To demand or require authoritatively or peremptorily, as a right; to enforce the payment of, or a yielding of; to compel to yield or to furnish; hence, to wrest, as a fee or reward when none is due; -- followed by from or of before the one subjected to exaction; as, to exact tribute, fees, obedience, etc., from or of some one.

He said into them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you. Luke. iii. 13.

Years of servise past From grateful souls exact reward at last Dryden.

My designs Exact me in another place. Massinger.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ex*act", v. i.

To practice exaction.

[R.]

The anemy shall not exact upon him. Ps. lxxxix. 22.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.