Usually an exitential crisis is preceded by a simple thought:

"What is the point?"

My personal experience of several years advices consciously to think about something completely different or to do something practical stuff that captures your attention.

Why? Because there isn't any point. If there is, please /msg me.

From time to time I have found myself thinking "is life worth of living, should I blast myself" (to quote Tupac Shakur in "Changes") and it led me nothing but existential crisis and depression. For too many years the outcome was always the same depressing one. So why to bother..? There are plenty of things you can enjoy in your life if you just avoid thinking about their deepest philosophical meaning.

Of course, this is not to say that you should just turn on a telly and forget about self-induced thinking or intellectual growth. Do whatever you want to but don't you try to solve the meaning of life!

Suicide can't help
   Death's mystery frightens me
      Nothing can stop it



Lloyd woke with a startle. Men in white lab coats with clipboards crowded over him. The smell of sterile air filled his nostrils as his eyes adjusted to the surgical lights.

Lloyd instinctively rubbed his left arm to relieve a pain that was not there, and asked, "Where am I? What's going on?"

"You've been dead 30 years. You died of a cardiac arrest; it looks like the memory deletion worked, which is good, for you would have woken up thinking you were in the midst of a heart attack. You're lucky our project got ahold of your body soon after you died. Tell me, how does it feel to be alive again?"

"I guess it feels good. Nothing to tell, really. I was walking on the sidewalk downtown near the Mary Tyler Moore statue, and then I woke up here. Why are my arms tied down?"

"Regulations required us to ensure that when revived, you were safe and not traumatized. Fortunately, we'll be able to continue our experiments." He turned to the technician on his right. "We'll start with taking away his ability to form any new memories, and then proceed to take away the memories he has." Turning back to Lloyd he leveled, "If the complete memory backup works as we hope, we might be able restore them and let you continue your life when we are done with our experiments. If it doesn't work, then this is farewell." Meeting the eyes of the doctor across the table he directed, "Administer the sedative."

"I don't want to d--!", Lloyd started, as blackness seeped into his mind.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.