Federal Aviation Regulations.
The FAA distributes the FAR's on a yearly basis. There are several sections, each pertaining to a particular segment of aviation

Far were an "emocore" band hailing from Sacramento, California. I have yet to hear the term emocore applied to any other band or artist. They released three albums between 1994 and 1998.

Far consisted of:
Jonah Matranga - Vocals
Shaun Lopez - Guitar
Malcom Keefe - Bass (1991-1993)
John Gutenberger - Bass (1993-1999)
Chris Robyn - Drums


Far was formed in 1991 when guitarist Shaun Lopez's hardcore band Inner Strength broke up. Shaun then teamed up with his highschool friend Chris Robyn (drums) and not long after, they found Malcom Keefe (bass) and Jonah Matranga (vocals). Thus was Far born.

In 1994, Far, who were already growing popular in the Sacramento area, recorded their first LP, Quick, which sold 5,000 copies. Following the release of Quick, Far put out In The Aisle, Yelling, a four song tape.

Far signed with Immortal Records in 1996 and released Tin Cans With Strings To You, further increasing their fanbase. In 1998, they released Water & Solutions, which marked a drastic change in the band stylistically, making use of melodies which conjure emotions rather than screams of catharsis. Although Water & Solutions differed from the ablums prior to it almost to the point of unrecognizability, I still consider this record to be the quintessential Far CD, as it also sets the stage for some of Jonah Matranga's post-Far work, such as Onelinedrawing and the sadly short-lived New End Original.

Other tidbits which may be of interest:
Former Far frontman Jonah Matranga is (last I talked to him) fairly close friends with Deftones frontman Chino Moreno, having collaborated on a number of B-Sides and rares such as Sade's "No Ordinary Love", Jawbox's "Savory", and an acoustic cover of the Deftones own "Be Quiet And Drive".

The nearest star to our sun (Sol) is Proxima Centauri. It takes a photon of light from it 4.3 years to reach Earth, a distance of 5.88 million million miles. Imagine you decide to walk to it. The average human walks at 3.1 miles per hour. Assume for the sake of this thought experiment that time stops, all motion in the universe ceases. A bridge stretches between a station in our solar system and a station in the Alpha Centauri star system. The bridge has artificial gravity and is enclosed, pressurized, and filled with Earth-type atmosphere.

1 light year is approximately 5.88 million million miles.

There are 24 hours per day, 365.2425 days per year.

Distance to Proxima ÷ walking speed ÷ hours per day ÷ days per year = number of years.

4.3 × (5.88 × 1012) ÷ 3.1 ÷ 24 ÷ 365.2425 ≈ 930.5 million years, nonstop.

If you walk for only about 16 hours per day, taking breaks to eat and sleep, it takes 3/2 more time, about 1,396,000,000 years.

Currently the average human lifespan in a post-industrial country is something like 82 years. The journey would take over 17 million lifetimes. Take every person in Tokyo and New York City and live each one of their lives one after the other, walking every day of their (your) lives. They (you) will have walked far enough to reach Proxima Centauri.

Far (?), n. [See Farrow.] Zool.

A young pig, or a litter of pigs.

 

© Webster 1913.


Far, a. [Farther (#) and Farthest (#) are used as the compar. and superl. of far, although they are corruptions arising from confusion with further and furthest. See Further.] [OE. fer, feor, AS. feor; akin to OS. fer, D. ver, OHG. ferro, adv., G. fern, a., Icel. fjarri, Dan. fjirn, Sw. fjerran, adv., Goth. fairra, adv., Gr. beyond, Skr. paras, adv., far, and prob. to L. per through, and E. prefix for-, as in forgive, and also to fare. CF. Farther, Farthest.]

1.

Distant in any direction; not near; remote; mutually separated by a wide space or extent.

They said, . . . We be come from a far country.
Josh. ix. 6.

The nations far and near contend in choice.
Dryden.

2.

Remote from purpose; contrary to design or wishes; as, far be it from me to justify cruelty.

3.

Remote in affection or obedience; at a distance, morally or spiritually; t enmity with; alienated.

They that are far from thee ahsll perish.
Ps. lxxiii. 27.

4.

Widely different in nature or quality; opposite in character.

He was far from ill looking, though he thought himself still farther.
F. Anstey.

5.

The more distant of two; as, the far side (called also off side) of a horse, that is, the right side, or the one opposite to the rider when he mounts.

⇒ The distinction between the adjectival and adverbial use of far is sometimes not easily discriminated.

By far, by much; by a great difference. -- Far between, with a long distance (of space or time) between; at long intervals. "The examinations are few and far between." Farrar.

 

© Webster 1913.


Far, adv.

1.

To a great extent or distance of space; widely; as, we are separated far from each other.

2.

To a great distance in time from any point; remotely; as, he pushed his researches far into antiquity.

3.

In great part; as, the day is far spent.

4.

In a great proportion; by many degrees; very much; deeply; greatly.

Who can find a virtuous woman ? for her price is far above rubies.
Prov. xxxi. 10.

As far as, to the extent, or degree, that. See As far as, under As. -- Far off. (a) At a great distance, absolutely or relatively. (b) Distant in sympathy or affection; alienated. "But now, in Christ Jesus, ye who some time were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ." Eph. ii. 13. -- Far other, different by a great degree; not the same; quite unlike. Pope. -- Far and near, at a distance and close by; throughout a whole region. -- Far and wide, distantly and broadly; comprehensively. "Far and wide his eye commands." Milton. -- From far, from a great distance; from a remote place.

Far often occurs in self-explaining compounds, such as far-extended, far-reaching, far-spread.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.