FAQL = F = farkled

faradize /far'*-di:z/ v.

[US Geological Survey] To start any hyper-addictive process or trend, or to continue adding current to such a trend. Telling one user about a new octo-tetris game you compiled would be a faradizing act -- in two weeks you might find your entire department playing the faradic game.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Faradize is drawn from the same root as Faradic. While it does relate to a "hyper-addictive" trend, it truly lends to the induction of current, or in the case of Faradize, energy or excitement.

Faradize can be defined as the creation or amplification of energy or excitement. You can ignite a group of protestors with a faradizing act of dissention.

Faradize and faradic are both derived from the last name of famous scientist Michael Faraday. Faraday is credited with laying the foundation for all electronic technology we have today.

The generation of the word faradize may have been derived from Faraday's greatest discovery. In 1832, using his "induction ring", Faraday discovered the method for electromagnetic induction: the "induction" or generation of electricity in a wire by means of the electromagnetic effect of a current in another wire. The induction ring was the first electric transformer.

In a subsequent experiment later that same year, he discovered magneto-electric induction: the production of a steady electric current.

These two "induction" phenomena are where the meaning of Faradize (and Faradic) are drawn. Anyone that creates or starts an energy, excitement, or extreme trend has commited a faradizing act.

Far"a*dize (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Faradized (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Faradizing (?).] (Med.)

To stimulate with, or subject to, faradic, or inducted, electric currents. -- Far"a*diz`er (#), n.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.