Fa"vor (?), n. [Written also favour.] [OF. favor, F. faveur, L. favor, fr. favere to be favorable, cf. Skr. bhavaya to further, foster, causative of bh to become, be. Cf. Be. In the phrase to curry favor, favor is prob. for favel a horse. See 2d Favel.]

1.

Kind regard; propitious aspect; countenance; friendly disposition; kindness; good will.

Hath crawled into the favor of the king. Shak.

2.

The act of countenancing, or the condition of being countenanced, or regarded propitiously; support; promotion; befriending.

But found no favor in his lady's eyes. Dryden.

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man. Luke ii. 52.

3.

A kind act or office; kindness done or granted; benevolence shown by word or deed; an act of grace or good will, as distinct from justice or remuneration.

Beg one favor at thy gracious hand. Shak.

4.

Mildness or mitigation of punishment; lenity.

I could not discover the lenity and fabor of this sentence. Swift.

5.

The object of regard; person or thing favored.

All these his wondrous works, but chiefly man, His chief delight and favor. Milton.

6.

A gift or represent; something bestowed as an evidence of good will; a token of love; a knot of ribbons; something worn as a token of affection; as, a marriage favor is a bunch or knot of white ribbons or white flowers worn at a wedding.

Wear thou this favor for me, and stick it in thy cap. Shak.

7.

Appearance; look; countenance; face.

[Obs.]

This boy is fair, of female favor. Shak.

8. Law

Partiality; bias.

Bouvier.

9.

A letter or epistle; -- so called in civility or compliment; as, your favor of yesterday is received.

10. pl.

Love locks.

[Obs.]

Wright.

Challenge to the favor ∨ for favor Law, the challenge of a juror on grounds not sufficient to constitute a principal challenge, but sufficient to give rise to a probable suspicion of favor or bias, such as acquaintance, business relation, etc. See Principal challenge, under Challenge. -- In favor of, upon the side of; favorable to; for the advantage of. -- In favor with, favored, countenanced, or encouraged by. -- To curry favor [see the etymology of Favor, above], to seek to gain favor by flattery, caresses, kindness, or officious civilities. -- With one's favor, ∨ By one's favor, with leave; by kind permission.

But, with your favor, I will treat it here. Dryden.

Syn. -- Kindness; countenance; patronage; support; lenity; grace; gift; present; benefit.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fa"vor, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Favored (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Favoring.] [Written also favour.] [Cf. OF. favorer, favorir. See Favor, n.]

1.

To regard with kindness; to support; to aid, or to have the disposition to aid, or to wish success to; to be propitious to; to countenance; to treat with consideration or tenderness; to show partiality or unfair bias towards.

O happy youth! and favored of the skies. Pope.

He that favoreth Joab, . . . let him go after Joab. 2 Sam. xx. 11.

[The painter] has favored her squint admirably. Swift.

2.

To afford advantages for success to; to facilitate; as, a weak place favored the entrance of the enemy.

3.

To resemble in features; to have the aspect or looks of; as, the child favors his father.

The porter owned that the gentleman favored his master. Spectator.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.