n., a dangling curl of hair

Gained by Player Characters in Dungeons and Dragons Third Edition. Feats are special skills and abilities ranging from the mundane to the mystic.

Feats are also tied into class-specific abilities. Eg: Rangers get the Track feat automatically. Lightly armored rangers gain the benefits of the Wield Two Weapons and Ambidexterous feats.

Feats are new abilites for characters in Dungeons and Dragons, and was introduced in the 3rd Edition. Feats are yet another way for characters to help define them. Some old proficincies, such as Blindfighting, were made into feats.

In the core books(Player's Guide, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual), four types of feats were introduced: General, Item Creation, Metamagic, and Special.
  • General - These feats can be taken by anyone that can mee their requirements. Some of these are more geared towards certain classes, but that doesn't stop anyone from taking them.
  • Item Creation - These are for spell casters, and are feats that allow characters to make magical items. They normally depend on the level of the spellcaster.
  • Metamagic - These feats allow a spellcaster to do strange things with their spells, such as eliminating the vocal component of a spell. They can sometimes be very useful, and others can only be so at higher levels.
  • Special - These are generally feats only allowed to certain classes after achieving specific requirements.
Then in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting another type was introduced, the Regional Feat.
  • Regional - These feats can only be taken by characters who come from one of the regions specified by the feat or by someone who has lived and gained knowledge in the region.
In the Oriental Adventures book, the Ancestral feats were introduced. These feats are mainly for playing in Rokugan, but can easily be adapted for other games.
  • Ancestral - These feats grant you bonuses due to your ancestry. They can only be taken at first level.
New feats of the types mentioned above have also been introduced in various supplements. The supplements that contain new feats are:

Feat (?), n. [OE. fet, OF. fet, fait, F. fait, factum, fr. L. facere, factum, to make or do. Cf. Fact, Feasible, Do.]

1.

An act; a deed; an exploit.

The warlike feats I have done. Shak.

2.

A striking act of strength, skill, or cunning; a trick; as, feats of horsemanship, or of dexterity.

 

© Webster 1913.


Feat, v. t.

To form; to fashion.

[Obs.]

To the more mature, A glass that feated them. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Feat, a. [Compar. Feater (?); superl. Featest.] [F. fait made, shaped, fit, p.p. of faire to make or do. See Feat, n.]

Dexterous in movements or service; skillful; neat; nice; pretty.

[Archaic]

Never master had a page . . . so feat. Shak.

And look how well my garments sit upon me -- Much feater than before. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.