Back to VGA Planets

A race in VGA Planets. Its race number is 1, and they are usually known as simply Feds.

General description, quoted from VGA Planets HOST manual:

The Feds' fleet is made up of many medium size ships that are designed to serve a variety of missions. They have only one ship that can serve as a fighter carrier. The Feds do not like to use fighters except as a last ditch measure when starbases or planets fall under attack. The weapon they most favor is the torpedo. For some unknown reason they like to paint their warships bright white and put external lighting systems on them. This tends to make them easier targets in a fight, but it also has the effect of scaring the daylights out of enemies. After all anyone who would light up their ships so brightly has to be unafraid of all enemies and have a very powerful ship or they are just completely stupid.

Their specialties:

  • Double money from taxes, both colonist and native (tunable)
  • Mining works at 70% (tunable)
  • Special mission: Super Refit: They can replace components of existing ships to newer ones without needing to scrap the whole ship.
Interesting ships in default shiplist:

  • Bohemian Class Survey Ship (Oberth Class Survey Ship in PLIST2) and Eros Class Research Vessel (Miranda Class Research Vessel in PLIST2), terraforming ships for increasing and decreasing planet's temperature.
  • Loki Class Destroyer (Constitution Class Frigate in PLIST2, although Feds don't have it), an anti-cloaker; will remove cloaking abilities of all ships within 10 light years.

A federation, in Webster1913's last sense, is a state composed of multiple mini-states that maintain a limited degree of autonomy. Federations are most often employed when governments need to create a unified rule among a diverse population.

Two basic models of federation exist. The USA's model, which is more common in the Western Hemisphere, emphasizes the independence of the constituent states. Germany's model, which is more common in Europe, emphasizes the cooperation of regional and federal government.

The mere existence of regional governments does not mean that federalism is being employed in a country. France and Japan have regional governments (departments and prefectures respectively), but these only serve to enforce national laws that are made in Paris and Tokyo. In a true federation, the regional governments can set their own laws: in the United States, for instance, each has a different speed limit, age of consent, income tax, capital punishment, and education structure.

Is a federation (see individual nodes for juicy details):

United States of America - 46 states, 8 commonwealths, and a district
Canada - 10 provinces
Mexico - 31 states
Germany - 16 Länder
Austria - 9 Bundesländer
Belgium - 3 regions
Switzerland - 26 cantons
Russia - 50 oblasts, 21 republics, 10 okrugs, and 6 krays
Yugoslavia - 2 republics
Bosnia and Herzegovina - 2 divisions
India - 25 states
Pakistan - 4 provinces
Nigeria - 36 states
Comoros - 3 islands
Venezuela - 23 states
Brazil - 26 states
Ethiopia - 9 states
Malaysia - 13 states
United Arab Emirates - 7 emirates
Australia - 6 states

Arguably on their way to becoming a federation:

United Kingdom - devolving power to Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland through regional parliaments
European Union - seeking to create a united economic and political front for otherwise independent nations
Iraq - one proposed model of government

Could have been a federation:

Commonwealth of Independent States (but nobody cared)

Was a federation:

Confederate States of America
East African Federation
Federal Republic of Central America
Granadine Confederation

Fed`er*a"tion (?), n. [Cf. F. f'ed'eration.]

1.

The act of uniting in a league; confederation.

2.

A league; a confederacy; a federal or confederated government.

Burke.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.